CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR.

Start from the beginning

"Nope," Hannah interrupting before standing up. Slowly, she worked her way around to Michael's side of the desk before perching herself down on his lap, making her some comfortable as she leaned into his body. "I am perfectly happy here, with you, only you. If I go out there then I'm going to get people making comments and I can't be bothered with that today."

Michael sighed softly before grabbing Hannah's chin and forcing her to look at him. "Fuck what everyone else has to say, alright? We've heard it all before and will continue to and that's fine, because they don't know us, Han and they never fucking will. What goes on between me and you, stays between me and you."

Michael knew Hannah more than anyone and he saw the pain she was concealing. Hannah was once a cherished midwife, people looked at her with love and admiration, now it was just commiseration. They all thought the same thing - why was she such an idiot? They didn't know Hannah though, they didn't feel the things that she was feeling and that was okay, Hannah didn't expect them to understand.

"I just hate living like this," Hannah admitted, leaning her forehead on Michael's. "It's either us being together in secret or everything fucking up when we are public together."

"It's life though, even though it's fucking shit."

Hannah had so long to think about this, positives and negatives whirling around in her brain for over a year. Hannah knew what she wanted, even though it was risky and a recipe for disaster but if there was one thing that Hannah had learnt, it was that her love for Michael was stronger than anything else in the world and that she would put everything on the line to be with him.

"It doesn't have to be like that though," she started unhurriedly, her eyes searching Michael's in hopes that she could figure out what he was thinking. "Let me finish things here with my patients and let's just go."

"Go where? My mum was telling me about this holiday - "

"No," Hannah interrupted, shaking her head. "I mean for good, or at least a while. Nobody needs to know anything, it'll just be us, a fresh start without all of this lingering over us. We can find a house, I can get a job at a hospital and you can do whatever you want to do. Jesus, we could finally get married and have children, just like we've always wanted."

Michael looked at Hannah blankly as he tried to process everything that she was saying. It sounded like a dream, something that authors would write in their romantic novels, it didn't seem like something that could happen to Hannah and Michael. However, Michael would walk across the country for Hannah and if she truly did want to move away then Michael would follow without any hesitation.

"I'll do whatever you want to do," he finally replied, his voice full of honesty and confidence. "Just tell me where and when and I will arrange it."

Hannah nodded once before smiling widely. "A couple of months, yeah? There's some stuff we need to finish here..." Hannah trailed off as she thought of Lily, the business and the nunnery. "But then we can leave but only if you are thoroughly on board with it."

Michael didn't know what he wanted if he was being honest but he knew that he wanted Hannah and nothing could change that. His only worry was Polly and how the news would go down with her. Polly had only just got her son back, again, and she didn't want to lose him all over again and her worry levels would be at an all-time high, especially if the young couple decided to just run without telling anyone their whereabouts.

"If it's what you want then yes, I am on board."

Hannah sighed and tried to keep her frustrations at a distance, she didn't want to argue with Michael but she wanted the truth. She could see that Michael had reservations, not that he would be willing to admit it until Hannah forced it out of him.

"We both need to want this, it's not just down to me. I don't want to be the reason you are forced away from Birmingham and I don't want you to regret it a few months down the line. I'll give you some time to think about it and if you don't want to leave then that's fine with me, I'm not going pressure you into leaving with me."

"And I don't want to be the reason you are miserable in Birmingham. I know that you don't like it around here, at least not as much as you used too. If you think that we will be happier away from here then I trust what you are thinking completely." Michael tucked a piece of hair behind Hannah's ear and smiled affectionately at her as he thought about how lucky he was. "You've been right about everything else so I'm sure you are right about this. A fresh start is ideal but like you said, there's loose ends that need to be tied up."

"We can't do a runner then?" Hannah smirked as she trailed one hand across Michael's chest, her fingers playing with the buttons on his shirt that were tempting her greatly.

Michael chuckled and shook his head. "We will have to tell people where we are going otherwise my mother will have a fit and the whole of England will be looking for us."

"The sister's will try and stop me," Hannah informed him, already knowing that it wouldn't go down well with her bosses. Being down by one midwife would cause trouble but Hannah couldn't force herself to one building for the rest of her life. She was still young, and she had dreams of moving further up in her career. "But I don't care about what they have to say. Anyway, like I said, it might only be for a few months so I could probably go back to the convent if they wanted me."

Michael placed his arm underneath Hannah's knees and lifted her up with ease, gently placing her down on the wooden floor.

"Get planning then, sweetheart," Michael grinned, leaning down to kiss Hannah on the forehead before strolling towards the door. Hannah remained by the desk, confused as to where Michael was going and what he was planning. "Do you want to go dancing or not?"  

authors note; ngl to you all, idk where to take the story from here

authors note; ngl to you all, idk where to take the story from here. i think the next chapter might be the last one and then an epilogue to wrap things up, then probs a very emotional authors note from me. who knows, when s5 comes out, i might do another book based around hannah and michael
in good news tho, i will probably be starting another fic when i'm a bit further into my john one so keep an eye out for that.