Prologue

A/N: Picture of Hailee in the side.

Prologue

"Alex, I want to leave," Hailee whispered into her phone. 

"Leave? Leave and go where?" I asked on the other line. I'm Alex Gaskarth. I'm eighteen and in a band. All Time Low is our name. And we all have one amazing best friend. Hailee Carmon. She's seventeen and has been here since day one of All Time Low. 

Hailee is beautiful, sweet, nice, and funny. That's why we all love her. Especially Jack. He's IN love with her. And she knows it. But she's in love with me. I know it. I can't love her back in that way though. She's like me sister. It'd be too weird. 

"I want to go to New York and start my music career." I could practically hear the smile in her voice. 

I lay down on my bed and exhaled. "Hailee, what about your parents? They love you. And what about school?" I asked. 

"Fuck school! And I know my parents love me, but they're holding me back." she explained. 

Hailee can't leave! "But what about us?! What about Jack, Rian, and Zack?! We all love you too! You can't just leave us!" I shouted as nicely as I could. I hope my parents don't hear me shouting. 

"I know! I love you guys more! Way more! But don't you think I feel the same way when you guys go on tour?! Alex, I love you guys. I just… need to go." she said, her voice becoming shaky. 

I sighed. "When are you planning to leave and who are you planning to tell?" I asked. 

"I want to leave ASAP and I don't want to tell anyone else but you. After I'm gone can you tell the guys and my parents about this?" 

"What?! Hails, I thought you meant that you want to leave in like a year! When you’re eighteen, you know?"

"Alex, I need to get out now. Please help me. Please!" she begged. 

"Hailee, fine. I'll even drive you to the airport if you want to leave us that badly! Be at my house tomorrow at noon with your stuff. My parents won't be here. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" 

I heard her squeal. "Ahh! Alex, thank you so much! I love you so much!" she exclaimed. 

"I know." I muttered. What was I supposed to say? I love you too? I do love her, she’s like my sister. But she's leaving. "Bye." I hung up and threw my phone at my wall. 

I seriously don't know how I'm going to break this to the guys and her family. And Jack. 

Oh crap! Jack! I can't believe that she doesn't even want to say goodbye to the guy who loves her. 

I don't know what I'm going to do without this girl. She helped me with everything! If I didn't have a date for a dance or prom, which was rare, she would be my date. If I was lonely on a Friday night she would come over and have a movie night with me. If I didn't have a ride to somewhere she would drive me in her mom's truck. If I was going through a bad breakup she would be there rubbing my back, comforting me, and telling me that everything would be okay. And so much more! 

I would miss her so much. I would miss the way we would play guitar together over the phone. The way she would sing me all her new songs before singing them to anyone else. The way she would secretly spend the nights at my house. We would stay up all night just talking and shit. She would tell me her problems and I would tell her mine. And before she left in the morning she would kiss my cheek and tell me she loved me. All I would say back is I know. And she hated that. 

I really don't want Hailee to go. And I really don't want her to go without telling anyone but me. I mean, she's throwing her life away! Dropping out of school to making a living in New York?! Yes, she's a great musician, but this isn't the way to get recognized. Not by dropping out of school and moving to some no good city where she will have no money by the end of the week. 

I don't think I know who was talking on the phone tonight, because that was not my Hailee speaking.

----

I saw Hailee walking up to my house with only a backpack, a small suitcase, and her old guitar in its old and ugly case. I sighed and rushed downstairs. Before she even knocked on the door I had it opened for her. I looked in her hand and saw an envelope. 

"Hailee, what's that?" I asked her as she walked into my house. 

"It's an envelope with some money for you and the guys." she answered back. She handed me the money. 

I was shocked. "Money? Why?"

"Because you guys bought me so much stuff. For instance you bought me my junior prom dress." She smirked. 

"Yeah, because I was your date! You didn't have any money to buy one! You don't have to give us money." I tried to give the envelope back. 

"Alex, take it."

I shook my head. "No. You're going to be in New York, you need as much money as possible." 

She looked offended. "I'm going to be fine Alex! Trust me. Now, I need you to drive me to the airport. I don't want to miss my flight." 

I sighed as we walked out to my car. The ride was really awkward and silent. We finally made it to the airport. 

We walked in the airport and she did all of the stuff she needed to get done. Soon enough it was time for her to board. 

I didn't want to say goodbye to her. It's hard to say goodbye to someone you want to spend everyday with. 

She turned to me. "Alex, I gotta go." She looked like she was going to cry. 

I pulled her into a hug. "Hailee, call me everyday, okay?"

She nodded while sobbing. 

We pulled away and I looked at her. "Goodbye Hailee. I hope you know what you’re getting yourself into." I said. 

She nodded once again. "Goodbye Alex. I love you." She kissed my cheek. 

I faked a smile. "I know. Love you too." I sobbed, my voice cracking. Damn puberty! It never ends, even at eighteen. 

She looked hurt. She hates when I just say I know. And she knows that "love you too" isn't the same as "I love you too."

She turned around and walked to the gate, never looking back.

A/N: I hope you guys liked the prologue. If you did, please continue reading. :)

~Catt