Chapter One

Introduction to the Rules

Diosa's POV

Everyone's world has rules, mine is no different. If anything, mine is more complicated. I am Diosa King, but everyone calls me Dia. My name means goddess in Spanish. I am an 18-year-old werewolf. I love my family and friends. I enjoy school and my pack is one of the strongest in the whole world. My life is perfect except for one thing, I haven't found my mate yet. Mate is short for soulmate, they are the person destined for you by the Moon Goddess. No one knew when they began but there are legends.

The most popular legend is that the since werewolves live extremely long lives, the Moon Goddess wanted to give them someone to share their life with. Another legend says that our souls are split in half between wolf and human, the Moon Goddess gave us the rest of our soul in the form of a mate. Together you are a complete human and wolf soul. Honestly, both of those sounded good. Which is why I wanted my mate, I no needed my mate. I know I just turned 18 but still, where the hell was, he. You see, mates can only find each other once each mate turns 18. However, it is very possible to feel the mate bond from birth. That's how it was with my parents. My dad's father was the beta and my mom's family where the gamma family. So, my parents grew up close, very close. People say you couldn't tear my mother and father apart and about a month after my mom turned 18, they realized they were mates.

Sometimes, it takes time for our wolves to adjust. When we turn our wolves reach their age of full maturity and they are adjusting to their full skills. This adjustment can sometimes cloud and distract from smelling a mate.

I have been 18 for almost 5 months and still nothing. I think after I graduate, I will go around to other packs looking for him.

No, mate is close. My wolf Jazmine says.

Our wolves live not only in our heads but our bodies. We have them all of our lives, but we can't shift into them or hear until we are at least 5. I shift at my sixth birthday party. Talk about awkward. But having Jazmine, or Jaz as I call her, for that long means we are super close, and I have great control over her and my emotions. Not all wolves can say the same. When we feel extreme emotions, our wolves can take control and handle the situations. The most common situations involve anger, jealousy, and sexual arousal. Granted I have never experienced those emotions, but I know when I do, I'll be able to handle Jaz.

Well if he's close why haven't we smelled him yet. It's been five months Jaz.

I don't know. I am trying but my senses are still coming in. I think we are special because there every day I learn a new skill or sense. I am overwhelmed but I can tell he is close.

I don't wanna be special I want my mate. Why can't he smell us? I ask.

I think it is because of me. I am still developing and so is our scent. Once I'm done, he will smell us.

Well, honey, when will you be done because time is a wasting.

I don't know smart ass, but I feel like the time is coming soon. Don't lose hope.

Before I can respond my alarm goes off. Time for school. I am a month and a half away from graduating high school. Only six more weeks and then it's over. In the fall I am going to the local state college. I applied hoping that my mate would be close but no such luck.

In no time I am done getting ready for school and head downstairs for breakfast. Because I am a part of the beta family, I live in the pack house. The pack house is where the Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Zeta families live. Alpha is the head dude in charge, his second in command is the Beta, then comes the Gamma and then the Zeta is the pack general. The alpha's office is here so it makes sense to have all the top dogs living together. There are also some unmated wolves living here. It's a huge house, honestly, it's basically just a converted castle and I love it. The rooms are huge, and no one is on top of each other.

When I get there my brother, Mason, and his best friend, Chase the future alpha, are sitting eating breakfast while my mother cooks.

"Good Morning," I yell. My mother jumps, for a beta female she scares so easily and since we were kids my brother and I loved making her jumpy. It was a two for one because she would jump, and dad would get so protective that someone hurt his mate even if it was his pups.

"Diosa Gabriella King, why would you do that?" My mother asks.

Instead of answering I guess her cheek and go over to the stool where she is putting down a plate for me.

"Morning Mason, Chase," I greet the boys. Even though Chase is the alpha I grew up with him, so we were informal. If I was honest, I had always had a crush on him. But he has always had a girlfriend, Izabella, Izzy or Bella, she doesn't care which you call her. It sucks that they aren't mates because she is super sweet. She and Chase have been together forever.

Both Chase and my brother were 20 having been born months apart. They were inseparable, as an Alpha and Beta should. Neither of them had found a mate which was holding them back from taking over from our parents. Before the next in live Alpha or Beta could take over, one them needed to have found their mate and completely the mating and marking process. Mating was just sex, but marking was a little more. A mark is a bite mark on the neck of mates showing the world they belonged to each other. Everyone marks looks different, especially depending on rank and pack.

Just thinking about having a mark I absentmindedly touched my neck. I can't wait. I looked up and noticed that Mason was talking but I had zoned out and I felt bad asking him to repeat himself. Before I could weigh my options my best friend Summer came bustling in.

"Let's go, chica, vamos" she said as she grabbed me and rushed us out the door.

"Um... Buenos Dias to you amiga." (Good morning to you, friend) I said as I climbed into her Jeep. My pack is mostly Latino. I am afro Latina as is Summer, which means we speak fluent Spanglish. Since we speak both Spanish and English fluently, we love to combine the two. It is rare for us to have a conversation in only one language.

"Buenos Dias, mejor amiga. Lo siento for rushing you but we need to get to school early to get ready for the pep rally" (Good morning my best friend, I'm sorry). She said reminding me of what today was. Thankfully I keep extra uniforms in my lockers at school.

"No, worries. Let's get this show on the road." I tell her as I turn up the radio. As I did, I got a feeling in my heart that something was happening. I hope it's my mate. Hell, it better be my mate.