Chapter 6: Yr5: Canine Capers

Harry, Luna, Ron, and Sirius held a War Council meeting bunkered down in one of the classrooms, with their privacy assured by all the nastiest espionage spells the Black library could supply, and a few new spells Harry had made up. Luna had helped by hanging up a bunch of radishes on the doorknob, which she promised would repel potential eavesdroppers.

"Where did you get the radishes, Luna?" Harry asked.

She smiled proudly as she answered, "I made them out of nothing, just now!"

He murmured praise and endearments at her, before getting down to business and explaining the outline of his plan to his friends and Sirius.

"So the dog gets turned into a… Growlithe, which is a stripy dog Pokémon like a cross between a puppy and a tiger," Sirius said, checking he had it right, "and you teach it how to track Horcruxes."

Harry nodded. "It seemed like the simplest solution."

Ron snorted. "Simple for you, maybe! Crazily difficult for anyone else. I never even managed to make a tortoise that didn't breathe steam or have a handle for a tail."

"I think it's a great plan," said Luna loyally, snuggling into Harry's side. He put an arm around her shoulders, and she sighed happily.

"Pikachu!" his Pokémon nodded in agreement. She wanted more friends to play with. She liked all of Harry's Pokémon, Snorky, and Colin and Dennis' pet Eevee "Pyro" (that Harry had helped along a bit with some permanent transfigurations), but she was a gregarious little creature and loved having new Pokémon to train with.

"It's not funny enough," complained Sirius.

The others stared at him. "Well Dumbledore was a bit vague about it all when he asked me to bring you a puppy, and I thought you were going to prank Voldemort! Like with multiplying puppies in a box, that when you opened it, whoosh! Cute puppies running everywhere widdling on stuff in his throne room! Like they explode out of the box in a wave of fluffy chaos!" Sirius waved his hands wildly to demonstrate the puppies flying everywhere. Luna grinned, but Ron and Harry looked less impressed with the idea.

"If you have to defeat Voldemort to fulfill a prophecy, maybe you could beat him with a funny Pokémon," suggested Luna to her boyfriend, liking the gist of Sirius' idea.

"Yes! Something pink and fluffy! Like a deadly Pygmy Puff!" said Sirius excitedly. "Most embarrassing death of a Dark Lord ever! Something people won't stop talking about for centuries! A legendary prank of the ages!"

"Hmmm!" said Harry thoughtfully, as he pondered his options. That had given him a good idea, actually. "I'll need a fluffy Puffskein, and an adorable little baby kitten."

"Yes!" said Sirius, who leapt up and started doing a crazy victory dance that Luna joined in happily. Harry got dragged into it too, but Ron refused to join the insanity and just watched with a smile. Ron wished, not for the first time, that his friends were a bit saner.

*pokemonpokemonpokemon*

Harry neglected his more boring subjects (like Astronomy) and doubled up his personal timestream a little (when he thought Luna wouldn't notice) to work on his three new Pokémon, starting with his loyal Horcrux-hunting puppy. Growlithe was ready only a little before Dumbledore tracked down a Horcrux, which he did with reasonable promptness (which mostly made Harry wonder why he hadn't managed to do so earlier). He called Harry up to his office when he'd gotten it, and Harry insisted that Snape leave the room before he discussed the next part of his anti-Voldemort plan, which Snape did with a snarl and some muttered insults about Harry's arrogance.