Chapter 5: Yr5: Dementor Trouble, Make it Double

Dementors in Little Whinging? Dudley was panicking, and Harry had lost his wand somewhere on the dark ground when Dudley punched him. The wand wasn't that critical for spellcasting, but it did help still with some of the spells popularly regarded as being more difficult. Anyway, he had other options besides his Patronus for fighting off Dementors; his Pokémon could use some real battle experience.

"Haunter! I choose you!" he said confidently, throwing the Pokéball towards the other Dementor.

A ghostly creature popped out, looking halfway between the friendly purple ghostly Pokémon Harry was aiming for, and a Dementor. The unusually small purple-cloaked Dementor had disembodied hands that floated near its body, and theoretically cute big eyes, but still had a very small mouth. It looked creepy and wrong, rather than the cute ghost he'd been trying to achieve all year.

"Haunnnn-ter…" it sighed solemnly. To Harry, and possibly the attacking Dementor, it carried a second meaning. "Flee, flee while you still can."

"Well that's not nice, Haunter," Harry said grumpily. No more working with sentient or magical creatures as the base for his Pokémon. Not unless they volunteered, like Hedwig - she'd been much easier to change than the Dementor he'd caught. It was like the creature's own magic fought back against the changes – they sometimes wore off and it reverted to how it was. The attacking Dementor hesitated, and stopped moving towards him – there was darkness and a horrible chill in the air, but not the despairing panic you felt when they got too close.

"Haunter, haunt haunter," his Pokémon breathed softly into the air. "Flee, before you too are imprisoned and changed like I was."

"That's enough! I'm the trainer here! Use Lick!"

"Haunter." "I obey." It advanced on the other Dementor, tongue poking out of its still tiny mouth, and its opponent fled in uncomprehending fear.

Harry sighed sadly, as he summoned the Haunter back to its Pokéball. It was a difficult situation. He felt kind of bad for experimenting on it. But it was a soul-sucking creature of horror that lived to bring torturous despair to people, and had tried to drink Sirius' soul. It kind of had it coming.

Harry wrote to Sirius about the Dementor attack, and the very next day Sirius showed up to whisk him away to the safety of Grimmauld Place, sure that Voldemort was going to send more Dementors or other minions to attack Harry. Even worse, Harry was clearly having a miserable fun-less time with the Dursleys. He hadn't heard any tales about a single prank. He needed saving.

"Had enough already, hey? I told you that you should have spent the whole holidays with me instead, studying to be an Animagus. You can still work on your present for your girlfriendat my house," Sirius teased. "I won't tell her about it really – that was just teasing. Oh, sorry, I should have said our house. Your room only needs some final touches."

"Th-that's the mass murderer!" his Uncle Vernon stammered in fear. "The one who was on television!"

"Yes, my godfather. Remember I told you about him?"

His uncle looked deeply fearful. "I thought you were making it all up!"

"Murderer," said Sirius.

"What?"

"Just murderer. Not mass murderer. I've only killed one person. Well, maybe three. There were a couple of Death Eaters in the war I got good hits on. I think they might have died later," he mused. "Do you think that qualifies me as a 'mass' murderer? Or is it 'serial killer', because they weren't all at the same time?"