Part 16 - Lost in the Moment

Pulsing throbs of a helicopter came to Kate's ears and she opened her eyes wishing she could sleep again.

Sitting up, she found herself alone in the cave. The place where the fire had been was covered with sand.

Running to where Kate lay, Staffy said, "We must leave, now." Taking her hands, he pulled her to her feet before lifting her into his strong arms, keeping Richard's jacket around her shoulders.

"I can walk," she protested.

"Can you run really fast?"

Not waiting for an answer, he carried her out of the cave and bolted for the ocean which was well on the way out. Shaken up and down, she felt relieved when the water became deeper and Staffy had to slow down. A long sleek jet boat, painted the color of the blue-grey sea such as Kate had never seen waited in waist-deep water, its motor idling with a noise like the surging of a giant lawn-mower. Waves sloshed around them and upon them. Richard was in the boat, leaning over the ladder, waiting to take Kate from Staffy.

"The bags!" Kate called "We must get them."

"Already there," Richard lifted Kate up and over, carrying her down into a cabin with tinted windows at the front and on two sides. At the same time, Peter and a man Kate didn't know, climbed out of the cabin and down the ladder into the water, lifting their arms, wading behind Peter as he headed for the shore.

"Where are they going?" Kate asked, alarmed. She could see, out the back opening, the helicopter, hovering above the men.

An amplified voice called, "Move your vessel closer to the shore and vacate it!"

Waving his arms in the air with Peter joining this action, Staffy and the other man strode out of the water and up on to the shore. With their hands on their heads, they knelt down, waiting.

The driver of the boat turned it around and headed for open waters.

Kate had no words right then. Turning to look back, she saw the helicopter land on the beach. Men in black uniforms and helmets, bearing assault weapons quickly surrounded the trio and appeared to be hand-cuffing them.

Kate found her voice, but when she opened her mouth to speak, Richard said, "It's damage control, Kate. Our men have I.D.'s for the highest clearance there is and will be taken to the highest authorities. We're hoping to have the time since the funeral, smoothed over as though it never happened. It will take some time and funding but we plan to have your father taken to a safer location as soon as he is well enough to be moved." Looking down at her, he said, "He's out of danger, Kate. The prognosis is that he will live."

Unable to absorb this news, Kate asked in a small voice, "Was anyone else hurt —in the bombings?"

"No, mercifully. No others injured, no fatalities. We must thank God for that.

Tears sprang into her eyes.

She felt lost in this unexpected moment of overwhelming relief. Hope had born fruit —he would live! "Thank the Lord," she said, wiping her tears with her fingers.

To see a second helicopter appear, flying from the cliffs towards the boat, spoiled her relief of the good news. 

The helmsman pushed the shift-throttle-lever forward causing the boat to surge into greater speed, moving faster and faster. Spray flew up in the wake behind them. The boat felt like it was air-born and she clung to Richard as he drew her into shelter from the spray.

Merging into the mist of both ocean and sky, the helmsman kept up the speed.

With no visibility, the helicopter rose and turned back.

"Wonderful, we'll get away!" Bruce called from the controls. "We've no obstacles ahead for ten miles." Easing back, he set the boat into an automatic mode before turning, stepping to her and saying, "Its so good to see you again, Kate!"

She couldn't help herself and stood to hug him. They laughed and sat down as the boat shuddered in the ocean's changing currents.

"I'm very glad that my father's going to recover," Kate said. She turned to Richard, saying, "Thank you for all you did, the way you made that call and how the ambulance came for him. That was brilliant."

"It's nice to impress you for once, Kate."

Her brow creased, she wondered if he jested or if he was being sarcastic. Inwardly pushing those thoughts away, she said, "I'm truly grateful, Richard, and yes, I'm impressed, very impressed, honestly..."

He smiled at her and again, she felt lost in the moment. There seemed to be some kind of truce between them. 

Wanting it not to be just a moment, she bowed her head and asked that God would give her more moments like this. They made up for other times when she had felt she failed in her communications, for the times she had been misunderstood and had misunderstood him.

Such wonderful progress to have good things happening. She sighed, unable to remember how long it had been since she had felt this safe...