THIRTY SIX

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX ____________________________

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX
____________________________

"SO HOW HAVE YOU BEEN?" SORA questioned the girl sitting in front of her, brows raised slightly. She was a bit different from the last time Hana had seen her. With her hair now being shoulder length and her attitude completely changed, the blonde wasn't sure who she was anymore. But she didn't let that throw her. Instead, she plastered one of her nicest smiles on her face and played along. She wasn't going to interfere. Usually, she would. But she simply felt as if that wasn't her place anymore. Not after cutting her off for a few months.

"I've been getting better. Thanks." Hana replied. "You look stunning, by the way. Always have, but I thought I'd say it for the effect."

Sora mustered a small smile. "You look stunning too. Happiness looks great on you. I assume Kakashi's responsible?"

The Senju's heart felt as if it was glowing at the mention of the boy's name. "He's a big part, yeah. He's been really great with the..." She trailed off, folding her hands in her lap awkwardly.

"It's fine. I get it." Sora cleared her throat. "You trusted him more."

"That's not the case. Not at all." Hana denied. Reaching for the latter's' hand, her expression turned utterly soft. "My mother... She broke something in me when she came back. I'd believed that I was better off on my own for years, so when she suddenly showed up out of the blue, I was... So many things, Sora. I was confused, sure. But I was angry, and sad, and felt worthless. It wasn't anything she said, but the reminder that I felt as if I was nothing."

"But you're not nothing." Sora said quietly, putting her other hand on top of the girl's. Her tone was meaningful. "I know I haven't seen you in a while but you're still Hana. You're still the girl that raised herself. You're still the girl that allowed herself to let people in. You're still the girl that pushed through when you were at your lowest, and you are still the girl that loves unconditionally, despite what has happened to you in the past. You are everything little girls aspire to be. You're beautiful and talented, and strong. And I'm so sorry if your mother made you feel otherwise. But I really hope that's what Kakashi has planted in you, because if he hasn't yet I'll go drag his ass to hell and back."

Hana allowed herself to giggle at the small comment at the end, shaking her head. But putting that aside, her friend's words made her tear up, her voice cracking a bit as she spoke once again. "I just didn't want to bring you down, Sora. You deserve so much. All the happiness in the world. Trust me, I barely even let Kakashi inside the house. But he insisted, and so there we were. Alone in our own little bubble for a while. And I'm so sorry that I didn't consider that what you might of needed was to help me."

"Hey. You don't need to apologize for a single thing." The girl murmured.

With an incredibly grateful smile, the blonde squeezed her friend's hand before leaning back into her seat. Her shoulders were the opposite of tense as she allowed herself to calm down, the aura of their surroundings being an incredible source of help.

Sora analyzed her expression. "With that being said, I have something to ask you."

"Anything, S." Hana tilted her head to the side out of curiosity, tapping her fingernails on her crossed thighs.

"Before I do anything, really, I have to tell you that I met someone. He's really... He's so good. The best man I could ever ask to bless my life. And you know I've never really been about the typical man being my savior and all, but that's what he is. He saved me in a moment of darkness, and I can't be anything but thankful." She paused in her slight rant. "He's like your very own..."

"Kakashi." Hana's heart seemed to glow at her words. "He's the person that you confide in most. That you love with your whole heart. That you'd do anything for, even if it meant risking yourself. He's like Kakashi. But he's not. He's your own, very different love."

"Exactly."

"Oh, Sora."

The two grinned at each other. There was nothing but genuine happinesses for one other, something that most yearned for with their own friends.

"I'm so unbelievably happy for you." Hana gave a small nod, her gaze wandering to the view of outside next to them. "But you know I have to ask... Gai?"

Sora's grin fell. "I loved him. Of course I did. But there's just something that got in our way, I suppose. Maybe it was the unrepricated feelings, or the constant disappointment. But through all of that, he is still the person that gave me the chance to let my confidence grow to what it is today, and he's still the person that pushed me towards the people I love. My very own family."

When she said family, the people that immediately flooded into her mind weren't her parents, though they were her family. But people like Gai. Hana, Kakashi, Kurenai, even Asuma. People that she continued to grow with despite her feeling of  uneasiness. Despite her bringing herself down constantly. That all stopped with them.

"And even though he is a man, that doesn't mean my growth wasn't because of him. He gave me the step, and I will never forget that. Even when I have children and get married, I will never stop telling the story of how I had people to help me be the person I am and will continue to be."

Hana couldn't help but tear up once more. She couldn't believe that she forgot her own friend had her own growth. And the fact that she was a part of the reason? She pressed her hand to her own chest, the glowing of her heart becoming more prominent.

"And so here's my question." Sora leaned forward, taking her left hand out from behind her back. On her ring finger was what was supposed to be there. A gorgeous ring that seemed to shine brighter in the sunlight shining through the glass window next to them. "The man I love asked me to marry him, and I said yes. So, will you be my maid of honor, Hana Senju?"

Hana's honey eyes widened, a gasp escaping her lips as she stood up out of her chair. The shock was so eminent that she didn't speak for a moment. But when she finally gathered the words, she shouted them loudly, not caring that other people were staring at them while enjoying a meal.

"Of course I'll be your maid of honor, S. Oh my God!" She brought her best friend into one of the tightest hugs imaginable, both of them laughing happily at the blonde's response.

And this might've not been Sora's story, but Hana would make damn sure she could get one of her own.

NOTES
sorry for the delay!