Chapter 1

Cold. It had been cold. The things had been kind. Why couldn't I remember. It was beautiful. She had been kind. But the wolves. They had terrified me.

It had to be here somewhere. I knew it! The smells of the old leather wafted into my nose, and I strained to reach the top shelf. The seven foot high shelves were stacked to the top with books. About math, science, language, mannerisms, and so much more. 

My slender fingers hit back of one shelf and I sighed. Climbing down from my chair, I spun to walk around the large study. 

I looked at the collection my uncle had. My fingers hit the spins of the cool books, and I winced. My legs were trembling and my arms were shaking. I knew I should have sat down, but I couldn't. I needed to find out about this place that my Uncle was always babbling on about. I had been there. I knew it. 

I reached for a book. The unusual color and the picture on the front made my mind whirl. I had seen that lamp. There was something familiar about the woman on the second page that made my heart thump, and my ears pop from pain. 

The cold atmosphere was popped by a voice. 

"Y/N!" 

My heart jumped and I quickly put the books in place. 

"I am up here!" I called for my uncle. 

"My dear, the others are here." He stuck his head in. Taking in me, standing shaking, he stepped into the room. "Y/N, what are you doing my love?" 

"I am looking, uncle." I smiled. He walked over to me. A small smile played on his mouth and his wrinkled face lit for a second.  

"What for?" 

"For... for... that place." I screwed my nose up. "You say it is real. Why can I not find it then?" I sat in a huff. "I've found it once before, I just can't remember. It scared me. But I don't remember a thing. A darn thing." A single tear slipped down my cheek. 

"My dear, it finds you. When it is time, you will go back. And you will remember. You were so young when you visited, even though it was an accident." Uncle sat and pulled me into a hug. "Shall we go meet the children? Mrs. Macready is giving them the tour. " His grandfatherly face leaned close to mine. "You will be nice to the children will you not?"

I looked to him. My brain conjured answer after answer, but I couldn't say them. Did I want to be nice to these new children? Would they be nice to me? I had no clue but I did know that I could at least try. I could attempt to make them my friends, couldn't I? Life wasn't all about mopping around. 

Uncle had spoken about two boys and two girls. I assumed they were who he was talking on. From what he was saying it sounded like the eldest girl was around my own age, but I felt as though the youngest and I would probably become fast friends. Or they would just ignore me, and I would be left with Lilian, my darling wolf pup. 

Uncle had rescued Lilian when he found her injured in the forest, and brought her home to me. Her and I are the closest of friends. 

Sighing I turned my mind back to my uncle, who sat looking at me expectantly. 

"Yes uncle." I  attempted a smile. He stood and pulled me up. I begrudgingly stood, and let his bright eyes pull me into a fabricated happiness.  

"Good." He tucked me under his arm, and lead me from the study. My e/c eyes searched the study one last time before he closed the door.