Assumptions Cause Pain

Lily wasn't really sure where she was going. She just knew that she had to get away from the angry man that she could hear chasing her. She was sure that the two of them were a sight. Her with her hair starting to come out of place, her shirt coming off one shoulder, and one shoe fell off in her hurry to leave the dining hall. Then there is the angry man behind her. He probably had his hair air blown from running, tie tossed over his shoulder, and his glare pointing straight at her as he chased her.

She quickly turned a corner and ran down the hall and turned down another hall. She immediately ran down a couple flight of stairs and went all the way to the bottom. she found a door and ran inside. She was breathing heavily as she leaned against the door of the dark room. She could hear him outside the door. He had stopped and she was worried that he had found her, but he slowly moved on to the next hall. She breathed a sigh of relief and felt around for a light switch. When she found it, she turned on the lights and looked around. She still didn't really know where she was.

It looked like a little girls room. All pink and fluffy. There was a small dresser in the corner that was white with pink shelves, a doll house that was much bigger than the one she had gotten when she was really young, and a pretty decent sized bed. The bed had pink pillows and pink bedding. On top of the bedding there is small stuffed animals neatly sprawled out. Did the man who captured her have a daughter? How could he do something like this with a little girl around? She felt anger boiling through her at such a thought. If he had a wife and a child then why was she here? She couldn't believe that anyone could do what he did. She turned around and wrenched the door open and came face to chest with the one and only Leo.

She was about to yell at him when he started to yell at her. "What are you doing in here? You're not allowed to ever be in this room. Do you understand me?" He was gripping her upper arms harshly and shaking her. She felt almost afraid of him until she remembered her anger from just moments ago.

"Why? You didn't want me to find out about your little girl and wife? I don't even understand why you keep me prisoner here if you already have someone and had a kid with them. Just let me go and be with your family!" She was shouting and she knew it, but she was just too frustrated to care. He had stopped shaking her and was now staring at her in confusion.

"I don't have a wife or a kid." Leo sounded just as confused as he looked. She shoved him hard. Hard enough to make him step back a bit.

"Don't lie to me! You have a little girls room in your house! You clearly have a child. Maybe you don't actually have a wife, but that's not the point here. You can't be raising a kid and be doing this sort of thing. Kidnapping innoc-" A hand covered her mouth before she could finish.

"You don't even know what you're talking about so just be quiet." He had actually snapped at her. She had never seen him so angry, but there was something else there too. Sadness. "She's not my daughter. She was my sister. Her name was Samantha. She was five and I was twelve. She was such a happy little girl. Blonde curls and big blue eyes. She was a really adventurous little girl. Always getting into things that she shouldn't." She watched him as he closed the door and sat down in front of it. There was a small smile on his face as he talked about the little girl. "She would get into our moms make-up, take out all the pans out of the cupboard and put them throughout the house, and she loved going outside and playing tag." His voice dropped as did his smile. She knew that whatever happened to the little girl wasn't good.

"You don't have to tell me. I'm sorry I even brought it up." Lily didn't want to bring up painful memories.

"No. I need to tell someone about what happened. I haven't told anyone besides the cops and my parents." He took her hand in his and she let him since she could sense he needed the comfort. "Well, one day I was watching tv and she kept bugging me to go and play outside. I kept telling her no, but you could only deny her puppy dog eyes so many times before giving in. So, I went outside to play with her. We played in the sandbox, I pushed her on the swing, and of course she wanted to play tag. I wanted to act like it was really hard for me to get her and let her think that she was faster than me, so I waited a few seconds before slowly jogging after her. She was laughing and running. Her laughter is something that haunts my dreams. It's one that you can't forget if you tried. All I was paying attention to was her and trying to make her laugh by making some growling noises and telling her that I was going to get her. She would squeal with laughter and run faster. Since I wasn't really paying attention to anything else, I didn't notice that she had ran into the road until it was too late." His voice broke and she saw the sadness in his eyes. "A pick up truck hit her. The bastard didn't even have the decency to get out and check on her. He just sped off. I ran to her and picked her up. She was still breathing, but she wasn't moving. I was screaming for her to just say something. Anything. She didn't say a word. I yelled for my parents as I ran towards the house crying. My dad came out and saw Sammy and yelled for my mother as he ran inside to get the keys to the car. We all went to the hospital with me holding Samantha. I didn't want to let her go. I just kept running my hands through her hair and telling her that everything was going to be okay and that I love her. When we got to the hospital the doctors pretty much had to pry her from my arms. I will never forget the last moment I saw her. Her blue eyes were staring at me as she told me 'I love you Leo.' She died from internal injuries during surgery. We had her funeral and never changed her room. I just couldn't. This was here. I took her life from her. How could I take this from her too?" He asked. He was staring at her with raw emotion. Like this had just happened yesterday. For him it probably seemed like it.

"It's not your fault you know. You weren't the guy who had hit her." She was trying to console him.

"No! I let her go in the road. I was supposed to watch her, but I didn't. I couldn't get to her time. I couldn't fix her." It was strange trying to comfort someone who had taken you. She did feel sympathy for him though. When he looked up at her, she noticed that he looked a lot younger and more vulnerable than when he was business like.

"It was an accident. You can't change what has happened and I don't think she'd want you to hold this over your head like you do. She'd want you to be happy." She was pretty sure that her words didn't help too much but he did pull back and give her a small smile.

"Sorry for putting that all on you like that." He seemed to be morphing back into the stern Leo right before her eyes. He stood up and offered her a hand up which she took. He moved her out of the room and closed the door. He locked the door and turned towards her with a smile. It was like he was bipolar. She wouldn't be surprised if he was. "So, about the pancakes." He had a glint in his eyes that she didn't like. She didn't have time to run before he pushed her against the wall and pressed his mouth to hers. All she could think about and taste was syrup, butter, and Leo.