What if I didn't get accepted into Duke? What if I wouldn't come back as soon as we thought?

"I know, baby. It's only temporary, though. You'll be back in my arms sooner than you think." He reassures and I sighed heavily, plopping down on my bed and I wiped my tears. "I hope so..."

"You will, babe. Everything is gonna be fine. You trust me?"

"Of course."

"Alright. God got us and we got each other." I smiled, lying my head against the wall. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"Nah, I don't know what I would do without you. But, how's everything with your mom? Y'all still good?"

"Yeah, everything is copacetic. We have a lot of missed time to make up for, but we're both making an effort towards rekindling. I'm happy she and I are close again."

"That's good. I'm happy for you, baby. When do you start your classes?"

"Wednesday. I'm definitely not looking forward to it. It's taking everything in me to not drop out and go back."

"Journey, are you fucking crazy? Do you know how hard you worked to even get accepted into that school? You trippin'. Stop tryna rush it. We good, babe." I whined and buried my face into my pillow. "You hear me?" He questions and I lifted my head, sighing heavily. "Yes."

He was right though. I was thinking crazy and impulsively.

"Alright. How's your Dad doing?"

I sighed, "I haven't talked to him since he moved his fiancé in." And that was two and half weeks ago.

"I've been trying to call to have an actual conversation, but all I get out of him is a greeting, a few questions about Mom and Sunny, then he'll rush off of the phone and I'll talk to Wesley for the time being."

"Uh-oh...are you..jealous?" I could hear the amusement in his voice and I smacked my lips, "No, I'm not jealous!"

"Your tone seems to prove otherwise. Simmer down, turbo." He chuckled and I rolled my eyes, smacking my lips. "Whatever," I mumbled.

"I'm just messing wit'chu, dang."

"No you're not." He laughed harder, and it made me chuckle. "Punk."

"Anyways, the real question is, how does Wesley feel about this?" Wesley was taking this far more harder than I was, which was expected because his dreams of having our parents back together were now crushed.

"He's definitely not fucking with it. I guess she be tryna put her foot down and boss him around but, you already know how stubborn and defiant he is, and in his words, that bitch ain't his momma." He bust out laughing and I did the same as I thought back to Wesley and I'd conversation.

I missed him so much. It was nice spending time with him before he left, though.

"That dude is crazy as hell." I chuckled and agreed, "Man, I'm surprised he's not grounded as smart as his mouth is."

"Right. But, baby, I'm starting to get tired so ima call you in the morning when I wake up, before I leave, Alright?"

"Alright, baby. I love you...a lot."

"I love you so much more. I'll see you soon, okay?" I was getting emotional again, but this time I didn't try and contain it. "Okay."

"Alright, sweet dreams, baby."

"See you."

Donald DeGrate

As soon as I'd put the phone back on the hook, I felt my throat tighten and my eyes welled up with tears.