solo campaign?

So no body wants to play dnd with me and those that do dont have the time.  Me and my friend struggle to put together a group so weve decided to just play together.  One on one.  He makes a character and i create a story for just one character. 

Lots of people tell me this is dumb but i think it could work. 

Its difficult designing a campaign for one person because you have to really think about how to involve and emerse that character into your game in a unique and particular way.

I got my friend to design a character to fit in my world and then proceeded to write his backstory into my story.  Having old ties meet again ect. 

I also said its best if he starts at level 5 so im not limited to only putting in monsters at like 1/8 CR
I think with a level 5 characted alone 2 is a good fight and 3 is a challenge but ive yet to experience it so thats more of a guesstimate.

I think having a solo campaign might really help to allow me to write more of a narrative for him to uncover than a place to interact with considering its just one character playing i can really focus on him.  Usually you wouldn't show favoritism to one character idealy but in this instance it provides an opportunity to explore how the player plays their PC.

Update.  We did a small sample trial of a 1 on 1 and ran out of time.  But at the start of the dungeon he was already scared over feeling alone in the dungeon. 
Being immersed by himself genuinly gave him the spooks which i think is a good sign.  If i try ill be able to come up with really great characters and places for him to interact with and I'm excited to actually throw him into a properly planned out campaign and have him experience roleplaying it solo