Chapter 24: Spirit Beasts

Start from the beginning

They gulp in fear as the horse suddenly eyes them with a maniacal smiling expression on his face, as if telling them, 'come any closer and I will devour you'. To think they were going to offer him an orange! "A.. legendary spirit beast? Such a spirit beast title exists?!

"You guys are such fools. Do you know that if you proceeded with your plan, you would have died. The hierarchy of spirit beasts is quite a simple one, so remember my words today and never forget them. Spirit beasts range from common, uncommon, rare, legendary, mythical and then the highest of them all, the heavenly spirit beasts. Common and uncommon are low tier beasts which are kept mostly as pets and can be bought at shops by anyone. Rare ones, however, are much more expensive and harder to find and to fully tame a rare spirit beast, you must form a contract with them."

"However this is not so simple, as to form a contract can only be done by the beast's side. They chose their master based on a numerous amount of things and some powerful rare spirit beasts even have powers. Now comes Agate, a legendary spirit beast. The amount of people who have managed to form a contract with a legendary spirit beast is very scarce, however, this does not mean they do not exist."

"They are extremely powerful when they wish to be and immensely loyal towards their master. If you approach them when they are without their owner, they became extremely dangerous and hostile, especially if you try to do something as stupid as trying to pluck one's hair. However, no one can be perfect so despite being intelligent beings they tend to have a certain weakness and for Agate that is food. Though that doesn't mean anyone can just lure it away with food. It only gets carried away with food when he is with his master and does not feel an incoming threat."

"So if you had gone and tried to pluck its own hair, you would have died a very painful death."

"We are sorry, we did not know," The three children cry helplessly, causing Yusheng to grimace.

"Open your eyes, do you not see the countless signs leading up to his enclosure as well as the many signs placed upon the wooden fence." Yusheng says, rubbing his eyebrows in frustration. Guo, Heng and Fu look around and to their horror they see unmistakably, many signs nailed to his enclosure as well as leading up to it.

"Do not enter unless you wish to die!"

"Do not provoke"

"Do not approach"

"Legendary Spirit beast resides here. Do not approach"

Fu, Guo and Heng felt as if their souls had left their body. Just how stupid were they that they had missed all those signs.

"I don't think anyone is as stupid as you three to ever approach here without seeing a single sign." Yusheng says angrily.

The three kids hang their heads in shame until Heng speaks, trying to change the subject. "If a legendary spirit beast is so rare and powerful, just what exactly is a mythical and heavenly spirit beast?" Guo and Fu suddenly look up, curious.

Yusheng scratches his head, suddenly in deep though. "Even I do not know if such spirit beasts actually exist for I have never seen one or heard of someone that has actually formed a contract with one. However readings and carvings, though they could truly just be a legend, mention an even powerful rank of spirit beasts then even the awe-striking legendary spirit beasts."

"And that is the mythical spirit beasts. Not much is known about them, only that they are not animals of this world but are mythical animals from those of legends. Such could possibly include the Qilin and the Pixiu and even the Phoenix. According to what I have heard, they are immensely powerful and intelligent and can even speak in human tongue."

Guo, Fu and Heng listen with deep fascination before one of them speaks. "Then what about the dragons, could they even be a mythical spirit beast that is of a dragon?!" Fu asks in wonder.

"Ah and that takes me to the heavenly spirit beasts. According to legend, there is only two heavenly beasts in existence and they are none other than the two dragons. Little to nothing is known about these powerful beings except that they can possibly change form. However, this is all speculation and could be entirely just a legend. But then again, people believed that legendary spirit beasts were just a myth too once, until the first one appeared a few hundred years ago. So who can say, we will never know until one appears." Yusheng says as he gazes up in the sky.

"Then... Then how would one be able to tell the difference? For example from an uncommon spirit beast to a rare one." Heng asks, determined to know.

"For that, one must cultivate their Qi and get stronger. Once you reach a certain stage, you will begin to see a slight, colourful aura around the beasts. For common spirit beasts, it is just a dull brown while for uncommon, their aura will be yellow. For rare, the colour is red while legendary is a blue. Though I have not seen any of the mythical or heavenly spirit beasts, it is said that mythical spirit beasts have a bright purple aura while heavenly beasts have a dazzeling gold one."

"Then, are you able to see the aura around Agate?" Guo asks in wonder.

Yusheng takes a glance at Agate who was still staring at them yet sitting down. As he focuses his eyes, a bright blue aura appears around Agate.

"Of course. Agate has a bright blue aura around her." Yusheng says as he glances back at the kids, only to be given some alarmed expressions.

"It's a girl!?" They all exclaim at the same time in shock as they look at the powerful beast with immense muscles protruding from its body. That horse who gave them such a demonic glare before was a female?!

 That horse who gave them such a demonic glare before was a female?!

They shiver as a sudden image enters their minds.

"Oh just get lost before you annoy me any further," Yusheng shouts at the kids as they jump to their feet. To think they had thought the beautiful Agate was a male. How ignorant.

"Actually on second thought, take me to the person who asked you to do such a task." Yusheng growls out, a sinister spark igniting in his eyes.

************************************

A/N

I know. I am sorry for disappearing for so long. I had an intensive 6 week uni course on 3d modelling and rigging over my summer holiday and have finally finished. However, I will be starting my main university again next week.

But do not worry, the main reason I did not update was because I was busy trying to structure my story more properly and give a fully fledge story to each of my characters rather then just a brief idea in my head.

As you guys may have noticed by now, my story is not just a simple story that focuses on Fanghua and Zhihuan's daily lives where they quickly fall in love and then the book just ends happily ever after. Instead it will focus on many other characters and their lives and how it connects with Fanghua and Zhihuan's story. Expect some very deep and intense plot writing.

Sort of a filler chapter but one that is very crucial! I have finally introduced the spirit beast system which will be a big part of the story as well as Qi and cultivation. I have briefly mentioned powers before with Changying but expect much more to come.

Also I just had to include that horse picture of Agate xD it was just so funny. Hope you guys found it funny too :)

Current read count: 62.3k reads! Wow guys, thats a whopping 20.3k reads from my last (written) chapter :)

If you enjoyed the chapter, please consider voting :)