Chapter 24: Spirit Beasts

Start from the beginning

"Wow, just great. Just how on earth are we going to find the horse Agate amongst all these horses. I already see a number of black stallions" Fu grumbles as he glances down the many hundreds of horses that stood in the stables, eating hay and prancing about.

"Wait a second, what is that over there?" Heng gestures with his fingers as he looks past the stables and sees a large wooden enclosure at the back. In it was a lone horse, a black stallion, bigger then any they have ever seen.

Guo lets out a whistle in appreciation. "Wow, if that is not the biggest horse I have ever laid my eyes on. How does one even mount such an animal? Let us go nearer."

And with that, the three young boys quietly walk down the hill, past the stables and hide behind a large tree as they observe.

"Wow. Its even bigger now that we are so close to it. Just how are we going to approach it?! The horse is not even tied up and he has such a large space to run around." Fu exclaims with worry as he glances at Agate.

Yusheng who was currently off duty and had come to look at his horse, sees the three kids hiding suspciously behind a tree as they glance at Agate. What were these servant boys doing slacking off here and not working? Using his expert skills as a soldier, he sneaks up behind them, unnoticed.

"But think about the oranges, those oh so sweet oranges. Did you not say that the horse could not even be controlled by his master when it came to food? Perhaps we should sacrifice one orange to the horse and distract it whilst we get a strand of its hair. Then we can split the two remaining oranges between us. I mean it's better then failing our task and having to return the oranges back," Guo says, causing Heng to nod his head in agreement.

"Hmph. You better split the oranges equally or you will be in for a beating." Fu says with an evil glint in his eyes as he balls his tiny hands into fists.

"Hmm, just what do we have here? Three servant boys who are slacking off from work and is instead trying to pull a piece of hair from a horse?" Yusheng calls from right behind them in a dark voice, causing all three boys to jump and scream out in surprise. Agate suddenly looks up towards them, hearing the sudden sound.

Yusheng grabs them by the scruff of their collar so they are unable to escape. "Do you even know what that is?" Yusheng growls out, thinking if he hadn't stopped these boys, they could have potentially died from trying to commit such an act.

"U--um a-a hor-se?" Fu stutters out in confusion before he hiccups in fright as he sees the dark expression suddenly take over the man's face. By the looks of his uniform, he was a high class soldier! They were truly and utterely screwed.

"A horse. Wow. To think you gave me such an answer" Yusheng says as he begins to laugh, causing the three kids to think they had been caught by a madman.

Yusheng suddenly stops his laughter and looks at them with a piercing deathly glare. "That is not just a horse." Yusheng spits out.

"That is a legendary spirit beast."

Guo, Fu and Hengs eyes open wide in shock as they slowly turn their heads to look at Agate.