Why?

Chapter 1: Why?

"Haru!"

Makoto Tachibana. Captain of the Iwatobi Swim Club. Biggest sweetheart in the world. He comes running towards Haruka Nanase's direction. Haru's ears perk up to the sound of Makoto's voice. Makoto stops in front of him and bends down to catch his breath. He looks back up and smiles sweetly at Haruka.

"What is it Makoto?" Haru says quietly. Both of them walk leisurely up to the roof where they always eat lunch.

"I just wanted to catch your attention so we could go up to the roof together," Makoto grins widely. His cheeks had a light rosy tint on them which made him that much cuter. Haruka's heart skipped a beat, maybe even two. His breath hitched when he saw Makoto's smile. 

Haru snaps back into reality, "Oh... okay." Haru and Makoto finally reach the roof and sit down to start eating. Makoto brought his usual bento his mother makes him in the mornings. Haru has his usual mackerel and rice to satisfy his hunger. They sit in silence for a while as they wait for Rei and Nagisa.

"Uh... Makoto," Haru speaks up.

"Yes?" Makoto looks up from his lunch and faces Haru.

Haru suddenly stops and starts to figit with his hands. "Nevermind," he looks away.

"Are you sure, Haru?" Makoto shows a worried expression and tilts his head to the side.

Oh no. I can't do this. I've got to ask him. I need to tell him I love him. Haru finally musters up the courage and starts to speak. "Do you want to go to the festival with me tonight?" Haru's eyes shut close and his fingers cross behind his back.

"Sure, Haru-chan!" Makoto says eagerly. His light, emerald green eyes light up with excitement. Haru opens his eyes and silently cheers to himself and keeps the same expression on his face. Deep down inside, Haru was jumping up and down, but he just showed a straight face.

XxX

"Where are they?" Nagisa pulls on Rei's purple shirt as they wait for Makoto and Haru to arrive.

Rei checks his watch and gives out a sigh. "They're already three minutes late. They must be more punctual. Research shows that when one-"

"Haru-chan!" Nagisa cuts off Rei and waves at an incoming Haruka Nanase.

"Ah, Makoto-senpai," Rei looks to his right and sees Makoto jogging towards them. His blue shirt was a bit wrinkled, his jeans had dust on them, and his black Converse shoes were a little dirty.

"I'm so sorry! I was helping Ren and Ran with their homework and then I forgot to-"

"It's okay!" Haru said almost too excitedly for his usual tone of voice. He was very eager to be alone with Makoto during the fireworks which were going to happen very soon.

Nagisa and Rei look at each other and think the same thing. "Rei-chan! I'm hungry! Come with me to get some food!" Nagisa tugs at Rei's shirt and gives a secretive wink to Haru just as if he's saying "Good luck, Haru-chan."

Rei goes along with Nagisa to 'get some food'. Haruka looks at Makoto and notices something is off about Makoto. He is always in time for events and he has a distant look in his eyes. Haru leads the way to the best place to watch the fireworks. Makoto walks beside him, more quiet than usual. They stop once they get to a spacious, yet empty area. Above them was a clear and starry sky.

"Makoto."

"Haru..."

They speak at the same time. Makoto laughs lightly at what just happened, and Haru just smiles because he loves to hear Makoto laugh.