She sat on a stained cot and allowed the healer to gingerly removed her makeshift field bandages, which had sealed firmly to the gash in her side. As it pulled free, fresh blood began to dribble from between the blood and mud-crusted edges of the wound. Vada's hands gripped the edge of the cot as the healer dabbed away blood and dirt with a wet cloth and inspected the wound.

It had been dealt by a Kel spearsmen, who she hadn't been able to dodge away from quite in time. Still, it was lesser than the wound she had left him with. She doubted he was sitting in a healer's tent right now. 

"If I stitch it you will have to join the reserve..." the healer paused as she looked up and met Vada's sharp eyes. The woman smiled and shook her head. "I didn't think so, wait here." 

The healer left and returned shortly with more supplies. As she cleaned the wound, Vada rolled a question around in her mind, wondering how to phrase it without sounding suspicious. 

"Priestess-" she began, as all Ylfray healers were Priestess of the Veiled One, the Angel of Retribution, "have you ever heard of how one might... change their Bonded?" 

The woman looked up, mirth and confusion twinkling in her creased eyes. "Change your Bonded?" She shook her head and went back to work. "You would question the thread of fate sewn by the Goddess Herself?" 

Vada flinched at the slight chastisement, but also from the stinging balm that had just been applied to her wound. 

What if the Goddess has made a mistake? She wondered but knew she could not voice the question. The Goddess did not make mistakes. Though we might not understand Her works, we never question them. The words had been drilled into her since childhood. 

"Why?" the healer asked, "has Vada finally found her Bonded and they do not stand up to her expectations?" Mirth twinkled in her eye again and Vada smiled slightly, if only to keep herself from scowling.

You could say that. 

Her search for her Bonded was no secret, even in camp. Her dagger had drawn blood from the finger of anyone who would allow her, and theirs from her finger, if they would not. The scars on her fingers seemed to tingle with the memory, as if to remind her it had all been for naught. Her Bonded would never be what she wanted. 

"No, nothing like that," she said, looking away. "I was just curious what could be done if, well, if your Bonded was not of Ylfray." 

"Bonded are not just for the battlefield Vada. They are life companions. The Ylfray are accepting of those who Bond with outsiders." 

So nothing could be done, was the answer she was getting. Vada wondered if the healer's answer would be the same, if she knew a Kel was in question. 

"The Goddess will have blessed you with quite a scar-" the healer said as she finally began to bind the wound in cotton wraps to help clot the bleeding. The Ylfray did not shy away from scars, moreover, they embraced them. Scars were a sign of experience, of suffering for the Goddess, and of strength from overcoming adversity. Vada already sported her fair share from training and from battles, and this one would be a welcome addition. 

"Thank you for your attention," Vada said as she stood, twisting slightly to test the wrappings. They were flexible enough to allow her movement, but tight enough to keep her wound from separating too much. 

"Of course child. Good luck with your quest," she replied, a touch of humor to her voice. Vada bowed before exiting the tent. 

After she had cleaned the dried mud from her body and her armor, Vada finally retreated to her tent for the night. Her tent mate, a shieldmaiden from the 3rd line, was already asleep, and Vada tread carefully to her mat to avoid waking her. Despite her still troubled mind, her exhaustion quickly took over and sleep did not elude her for long. 

She stood on the battlefield again. She was barefoot and the ground was wet and cold beneath her feet. Figures and shapes swam around her, but her eyes saw nothing other than what was in front of her. The red-cloaked soldier stood ahead of her.  She did not know his face and yet she knew it was him. She could feel it. As she watched, rooted in place, for her feet refused to move, the soldier yanked his sword from Bjorn's body. She collapsed on the ground, her eyes open yet unseeing. 

She tried to move forward, her voice calling out to stop him, but it was as if the air was water around her. Her movement was labored and in vain and her voice echoed in her ears only. She watched in horror as the soldier turned, taking out another Ylfray warrior with a swipe of his sword. Another and another. Until the bodies in gleaming armor began to stack and pile around him. From the gloom surrounding him, Eiselda appeared. She glowed with light as she mounted the hill of bodies the soldier stood enthroned upon. For a moment, hope filled the nightmare in which she was trapped. Vada could only watch, helpless as they battled upon the hill of her fallen comrades until - he struck the sword from Eiselda's hand. 

Vada felt the ground come up beneath her knees as her friend tumbled from the hill, defeated. The soldier followed after her and Eiselda turned to her, reaching out for help. Help she could not give. 

"Why won't you help me?" she cried "Why will you not kill him?" 

Even if she could have, there was no time to answer, no time to explain. The soldier appeared behind her and in one fell stroke, severed her head from her body. Even still, the nightmare did not end. 

She felt the tears leaking down her cheeks as he approached her next. She knew he could not hurt her and yet, fear filled her heart. There was nothing but darkness behind his visor and the darkness persisted as he removed his helmet. She could not see his face as he leaned down towards her. 

"Bonded" she heard his voice whisper. 

Her eyes shut, darkness enveloping her, as he knelt down and kissed her.