25

I hated everything.

Okay, not everything. But going to a ball without Alexander wasn't something I was exactly looking forward to.

Also, the fact that I didn't even know who Alexander was anymore wasn't entirely particularly pleasant either.

But not to worry. I had done far more upsetting things than going to a Russian ball with a dangerous Russian gang, whose member was my fake fiancee who happened to be the person my husband killed.

A knock at the door made me quit my whining and I slowly trudged to open it.

"Who is it?"

"Open." 

Of course. Eugene. No one else had such an apathetic and quiet voice. 

"Come on in."

He marched in without waiting a single second. He wasn't alone though. Behind him was a dress.

A ball gown, to be precise. 

A pink ball gown, to be more precise. 

And to be extremely precise, it was gorgeous with large pink flowers. I think they were roses or peonies or some other flower. I couldn't tell, I wasn't a flower expert. 

I did; however, know that they were very beautiful. The green leaves and branches added a very elegant and pristine aspect. The lacy top of it was very mature and formal. It wasn't exactly a royalty dress, but it was no thrift-store clearance rack dress either. It was a happy medium, and I was very happy with it.

"Put it on, makeup and hair, all that stuff you need and be ready soon," Eugene stated shortly and clearly and left

I nodded as he left. Perfect. Time to dazzle me up.

And so I did. I dazzled me up as well as my hormonal self allowed. I gently rubbed my belly. 

"Hang in there little baby," I whispered, "Soon everything will be just perfect and our lives will be somewhat back to normal."

'If your father has a good reason for being a murderer, that is,' I quickly noted to myself. 

I quickly glanced myself over in the mirror and nodded. Decent.

I walked out of the room and waited for a few moments before the men exited their room. 

Misha slowly walked up to me and took my hand. Bending his head, he gave a soft kiss. 

"You look stunning, my dear Kate."

"Thank you. Same goes to you. I must admit, a suit and tie don't particularly fit your tough persona, but it's not bad." 

He gave a soft laugh. "Let's go. Stephan is already a few meters ahead of us."

I looped my hand through his arm and we marched off.