8

I opened my eyes, and of course, the first thing I feel is the awful feeling in my stomach. I rushed out of the bed and into the bathroom. 

I groaned. 'Why? Come on! There is something wrong with me! No one throws up for weeks! Maybe it was some weird Italian food, but I doubt it. I'll have to go check out to see what's causing all of this.'

I headed back to the room and noticed that Alexander was still sleeping soundly. I smiled as I looked at him, so peaceful. We did sleep in the same bed, but I was glad that I fell asleep before I noticed it. 

I remembered the plan for today: tour Rome. I quickly went to get dressed for the busy day. I decided a simple white top and a tight camouflage green skirt would look well, and be comfortable for the long day.  I put on some brown lace-up heels and some leopard print studs in my ears. I took a dusty orange hat and a leopard print purse for later. 

There was a knock on the door and I quickly went to open it

There was a knock on the door and I quickly went to open it. A tall Italian man stood at the door with a tray of food. 

"Room service, madam. This is your breakfast."

I frowned. "No, sir, we didn't order anything."

"Yes, this was ordered for you, a gift from one of our guests." He walked into the room and placed the tray on a glass table. With a bow, he left the room. 

There was a little vase with a single rose in it. Under the vase was a note, and I gently picked it up.

What a coincidence to be in Italy with you, Maria Vasilievna! 

I gasped and dropped the note. No way. The threatener was in Italy right now! In the same hotel! I quickly rung up the room service and asked them to take the tray down, we were not hungry. I had lost all appetite and was feeling sick to my stomach again. 

At that moment, Alexander woke up. I swallowed, trying to keep my stomach intact. He didn't know that I still had a little bit of sickness, and I wanted it to be kept that way.

Thankfully, my stomach listened to me.

"Maria, good morning."

I smiled at him, trying to seem as normal as possible.

"You're already dressed, that is good. Let me quickly get ready and then we shall head out. We have a train to catch to get to Rome." 

I nodded, and Alexander hopped into the shower. I went out onto the balcony and stared out as he got ready. I closed my eyes and mumbled a quick prayer. I was so absorbed in the sweet sunlight and my prayer I didn't notice somebody behind me until I felt a hand at the small of my back. 

I gasped and whirled around, but it was just Alexander. 

"Alexander!"

"Maria... why are you so on-edge recently?"