14 | (but the wrong decision)

'fourteen

the laughter of haechan's classmates ghosted out of his classroom and echoed through the empty hallways in which he stood, and he sighed. grabbing his bag straps, he reached for the door before someone stopped him and spun him around.

"mark?" he questioned, meeting the latter's gaze.

"hey, did you put something in my locker the other day?" he asked, and the younger's cheeks immediately tinted pink as he looked down.

"well, i... yeah, i did."

"shit," mark muttered, making him frown.

"why? did you not read it?"

"hyuck, listen, that wasn't-"

"sunny boy! what are you doing out there?" jeno's voice called from inside, and haechan turned back.

"let's talk inside," he suggested, walking into the classroom and leaving mark alone.

however as soon as he stepped inside, all chatter died down, and suddenly haechan felt like he was under a spotlight.

"why did everyone stop talking..." haechan muttered his question to jeno, though the entire class was listening.

feeling merciless, jeno held up his phone to haechan's face, showing a picture of his intense confession to mark. his ears immediately turned red akin to his face, unknowing of his anger and anxiety which consumed him whole.

"this can't be real... did everyone see it?" his voice grew smaller and smaller as the lump in his throat grew bigger and bigger, and jeno shrugged.

"just those who have the school e-mail," he replied. "but honestly haechan, even you should've known that that note was clear bait! sunny boy, your lover boy is teaching you a valuable lesson about life here. nothing is fair..."

haechan drowned out jeno's jeering voice as he turned to mark, who still stood outside, his eyes glued to the ground.

he slowly walked back out of the room, ignoring jeno's bid goodbye, and darted past the mute boy.

"haechan, i'm so sorry..." mark stopped him as he rambled. "i swear i didn't do it, jeno just told me he was going to do it as a joke and i didn't believe him but i should've stopped him-"

"you don't have to explain yourself," haechan shook his head before walking past, biting his lip. he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket, and he was sure it was renjun calling to ask about what was going on. 

he felt his legs start shaking as it dawned on him that his only friend too was exposed to his actual social status. haechan was a nobody in reality; he was a facade and he was broken, especially as the entirety of the school population had now seen his rawest, realest emotions in the most cringe-worthy way.

haechan didn't know what he did to deserve what he got, but karma was not on his side. it never had been.