Chapter ten

Victor Davids was nervous now. A cop came to see him. That is never good, especially around here. That means they know something. Not a lot but something. And once the cops get a whiff of something, they will hound you until they come with something else.

Davids was far from a snitch. The police had come at him before offering him all sort of promises and deals and he nicely and politely told them to F themselves. Davids knew the score. Police involvement of any kind meant trouble, not just for you but for your family. Once you had been tagged ‘a snitch’, people would really disown.

That’s why Davids was nervous. A cop came into his establishment. People saw it. He was already an outcast for going against the grain. Tamel made sure of that. But this new label would destroy. He could come back from being an outcast. If he worked hard enough, pay off his debts to Drama and the bank, get his daughter to forgive him a little, show the block he still about his business, he could get back in their good graces.

Not as a snitch, though. Once you’re labeled that word, that’s it. You mind as well join Witness Protection because you nor your family was safe. And the only way to get into that program was to take down kingpins and it had to be a guaranteed conviction. Davids didn’t have enough juice to deal with the kingpins or the main Queen pin, the notorious Envy Tenders, herself. So if he was labeled, he would still have to stay where he lived with eyes in the back of his head and two shotguns under his bed.

But why did that cop come by? Davids knew no one gave enough of a fuck to call the police on behalf of his store being vandalized or his daughter being abducted in broad daylight. So it had to be something else. They were fishing for something else? They had something but they needed that something else and the police thought Davids had it. That’s the only reason for the visit especially by a homicide cop. Those cops know better than patrol not to come around asking question or you will get a door slammed in your face or spit on. So if a homicide detective came in here, someone told him to and that someone also told him Davids would talk. Or why would the lawman even waste his time on another dead lead?

That was the problem. Someone thought Davids would talk. Once people think that, the label is pre- attached. It’s like it’s applied already. The cop may have just killed him or at the most, ruined his life completely now. Fuck!

Davids had too much to worry about without this over his head as well. He couldn’t fathom why a cop came to see him? And if he couldn’t think of a reason, then nobody on the block damn sure couldn’t either.

Davids shook his head as he swept some debris in the corner with his broom. He had spent the whole day trying to fix up his store. The first three days when he came back from Tamel and Tamel’s proposal, he didn’t want to look at it. All he saw was how he had failed for trying to be greedy.

Davids had sacrificed his family’s business as well as his family thinking he deserved more drug money. He risked all he had for something that truly wasn’t even his. After two days of self-pity for a mistake he made, he decided to get things back in order. Besides he still owed a debt and he wasn’t going to let Tamel think he gave his daughter to that maniac thug indefinitely.

Davids had managed to get some money from all the items he sold but he was still behind. He needed to…

He heard footsteps behind him again. He hoped it wasn’t the detective again. If it was, he would have to shoot the cop in order for people to think he wasn’t in cahoots with the law. It was his only option. That or try to attack him so he could be hauled off to jail.