We Fight

A sea, an army, of Wakandans was spread across the open field. Each tribe echoed the Wakandan war cry initiated by their king. Hundreds of spears thudded against the ground in unison with a hundred more swords beating against shields. Steve and Natasha stood beside T'Challa at the head of the masses. The Wakandan king was garbed in his Black Panther suit, save for his head. He had been rallying his people, no doubt to keep them from fear as they watched thousands of creatures pour out from the alien spacecrafts that had landed outside the dome. With them, on the front line, was Bucky. A short distance behind them, Bruce was standing in the huge, Hulkbuster suit that Tony had made years ago in the event that the green guy got out of control. It was slightly ironic that Banner would be using it himself as a result of the green guy's inability to show up after Thanos delivered a world-class beating to him in space. The suit might not have been ideal, but it was better than nothing.

Minutes ago, Nat and Steve had accompanied T'Challa to the edge of the border. The horned, female alien from Edinburgh was there. Her previous companion was not. This time, standing beside her was a huge creature that looked like some mix between reptile and rock. Any chance at peaceful negotiations seemed practically non-existent. No one truly expected them to amount to anything, at least Nat didn't, but she knew that there were certain customs that had to be respected, here. If there was a way to avoid bloodshed, she knew that T'Challa would at least attempt it. Steve, too. Unfortunately, things went about as well planned. Thanos's "Children" wanted the stone. Steve wasn't giving it up, and it wasn't like these things were just going to pick up and head home, so... they got ready for a fight.

A single signal from the horned female released the airlocks on countless doors on the towering spacecrafts. The creatures that came spilling out after were frenzied, mindless things. They came in swarms and rushed the dome, throwing themselves at it only to be burned and seared apart by the protective barrier. Even seeing the charred and dismembered bodies of their kin, the creatures kept coming. They smacked into the dome like a snarling, writhing wall. It seemed they were made for only one thing: killing. Nothing else, not even their own lives, mattered. Everyone watched in horror as they continued throwing themselves to their deaths. There was no thought, no strategy behind it. It was as if they were led by a relentless, blind hunger. Like dogs that had been kept, starving, in cages for too long.

"Cap," Rhodey's voice sounded in Steve's comm device. "They're starting to flank the wall."

"If they surround the city, there's no way we'll be able to keep them from getting to Vision." Sam added. Sam was accompanying Rhodey and his War Machine suit, providing aerial coverage.

The message was received by T'Challa as well, as they were all outfitted with the earpieces that allowed them to hear each other. The only way to maintain the horde was to bottleneck them in the front; allow them only one way in. That meant opening a portion of the barrier. It was a difficult decision that T'Challa had to make. In order to protect his land, he had to allow the enemy into it. He sent word to Shuri through their comm system, telling her to open the northern quadrant. After a moment's hesitation, the Princess abided. Steve cast a glance to his right, where Natasha stood at the ready. Her batons were gripped firmly in hand, and a look of hard determination was worn on her face. It was an expression that was quickly mirrored by Steve. He took one, deep, cleansing breath and exhaled slowly.

"Wakanda forever!" T'Challa shouted.

Then, everything was thrown into chaos.

The Wakandan forces and their allies rushed forward, just as a small sector of the barrier opened. The alien creatures spilled in, and soon, it was like two, massive waves crashing into each other with all of their might. Steve was at the forefront of the group, alongside T'Challa. He leaped into the air and landed himself in the middle of the swarm. He brought the teeth of his shield down angrily into the creature he landed on while swinging his opposite arm to clothesline another nearby. This started the quick succession of blows that chopped and broke through half a dozen seething, biting anomalies.