"Then why did you promise to deliver me to her? And why the hell couldn't you be honest with me?"

"Do you think those X-Geeks you call family would have asked for my help? If it hadn't been for Mystique, I wouldn't even have known you were gone."

"You still took her money!" she spat, pausing in her packing to look at him. "And you lied about it. You're nothing but a low-life thief and I never should have trusted you!"

She had tears shining in her eyes but her words stung him too much for him to be mindful of her feelings.

"So you're just going to run again?"

"I don't run!"

"Your powers flared up and you ran to the brotherhood. You found out about Mystique and you ran tot he X-Men. Your brother wouldn't talk to you so you ran away with me-"

"You kidnapped me!"

"But you didn't go back when I let you go, did you? Hell, when your crush goes on a date with someone else and your friend turns out to be Mystique, you even run from yourself, letting those voices in your head take you over!"

"I didn't let them do anything!"

"Oh please, you are the dominant personality in your head, chère. You said yourself that when you get upset, the voices get louder. I think it's because you want them to, you want the distraction, you want to give up."

His speech had momentarily silenced Rogue, so Remy went to his closet and opened a safe in the back. He took out an envelope then closed it again.

"For the record, I didn't take a dime from Mystique."

He threw the envelope onto the bed in front of her and left the room.

Rogue had been hurt by him, and Mystique, but for some reason she also felt bad. She had judged Remy without hearing his side of the story and maybe that was wrong. But he had lied to her! He had promised to hand her over to her mother on a silver platter, for Christ sake, the woman who had done nothing but use Rogue since day one!

'That wasn't our agreement. I said I'd ask her if she wanted to see you, that's all I promised.'

Why did her god damn conscience have to remind her of that! Okay, so maybe he hadn't said he'd hand her over, but he had taken Mystique's money and he had lied about it!

She was too overwhelmed to continue packing so she sat down on the bed and picked up the envelope that Remy had tossed there. She gasped as she pulled out a bank statement in her name, with a balance of $150,000.

Now she felt like a tool.

She stayed where she was for a few minutes, until she was certain that she wasn't about to cry or rage, then headed into the living room, but Remy wasn't there. She sat on the sofa, wondering how long he'd be gone.

Rogue had begun preparing diner when Remy got back but she put her knife down as he entered and went through to the living room.

"What is this?" she asked, picking up the statement off the breakfast bar. She thought she had an idea, but clearly making assumptions wasn't a good thing to do.

"A bank account I set up in your name, that's the first payment from Mystique. The second half should have gone in by now."

"$300,000?"

"That's what we agreed."

"Why did you take it? Why not just throw it in her face?"

"Why not take it?" Remy shrugged. "After everything she put you through, I thought that at least you deserved something from her in return. Money might not be what you want, but it's better than nothing."