Chapter Seven

Richard stirred awake at about 8am  and heard a soft tap on the front door downstairs. He looked at Zoe and she was still fast asleep beside he. He gently climbed out of bed and threw a shirt and trousers on and headed downstairs.

It was Nancy the carer he had met yesterday and another lady he wasn't as familiar with.

"Come in ladies" Richard said standing back from the door to let them in. "Would you mind going through to the kitchen as I have something to tell you."

They both looked confused but did as he asked and Richard followed them through. He motioned for them to sit at the stools at the counter and started to make them a coffee.

"Zoe is still asleep in bed this morning as I'm afraid we had a very hard night" Richard started running his hand through his hair. "We were up for most of the night as sadly Daniel died overnight."

He heard the carer he was unfamiliar with gasp a hand going to her mouth while Nancy just looked shocked.

"Do we know why he died?" Nancy asked. "He was perfectly well yesterday."

"No not yet, they are going to do a post-mortem on his body today and let us know." Richard replied as he finished their coffees and placed them down in front of them.

Richard heard the kitchen door open and looked over to see Zoe walking in in her pyjamas. She walked around the kitchen counter and came to stand beside Richard wrapping her arm around his waist. Richard copied her and wrapped his arm around Zoe's waist pulling her close to his side. Her face was pale and her under eyes were dark. It was obvious she was struggling with all this.

"Did Richard fill you in with what has happened Nancy and Karen?" Zoe asked the carers.

"Yes he did" Nancy replied "we are so sorry for your loss."

Zoe smiled weakly at Nancy in acknowledgement.

"We were just saying to Richard that Daniel had seemed perfectly fine yesterday we just don't understand what has happened" Karen said.

"It is a massive shock to us" Zoe said "but once they let us know the cause today I promise to let you know."

The ladies finished their coffees and then hugged both Zoe and Richard before leaving to head to their offices to tell their management the news. Obviously now Daniel wouldn't need their care anymore but Zoe promised to let them know the cause of death and the date of the funeral as they both said they would like to attend. As soon as the door had closed behind then Zoe turned and threw her arms around Richard.

"I still can't believe he is gone" Zoe said as a tear fell down her cheek.

"Me neither" Richard replied holding Zoe tight to her chest. "It was all so sudden."

"Can I ask a favour" Zoe asked.

"Anything my love" Richard replied placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Can I come and stay at your place for a few days? I don't think I can face the memories round here just yet." Zoe replied.

"Of course you can" Richard replied. He let Zoe continue to cry into his chest till she was done and then they both headed back upstairs to get changed and for Zoe to pack a bag.

An hour later they were pulling up outside Richard's house. Richard jumped out of the drivers seat and dashed around the front of the car to assist Zoe in getting out of the passenger side. He collected their bags from the back of his car and then led them both into his house. He dropped both their bags at the bottom of the stairs and then led Zoe through to his living room and sat her down on her sofa. He grabbed on of the blanket throws from the end of the sofa and covered Zoe before sitting next to her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Thank you for letting me stay Richard" Zoe said.

"It's my pleasure. You are welcome to stay as long as you like." Richard replied kissing her hair as she rested her head on his shoulders. Richard turned the television on with the remote and put an animated film on for them to watch. Something that wouldn't have too much to think about but at the same time would distract them both. Zoe could feel that her eyelids were heavy from not having too much sleep last night and before long she had drifted of to sleep in Richard's arms.

***

Zoe awoke sometime later to find that Richard had gone but the film was still playing on the tv. She sat herself up and could hear talking in the kitchen. She got up and walked through to find Richard talking to Jon Snow! Zoe hadn't watched too many episodes of Game of Thrones yet but it still shocked her to see one of the main characters from the show stood in front of her. Well two if you counted Richard too.

Richard turned to look at Zoe as she walked in.

"Sorry Zoe did we wake you?" Richard asked walking to Zoe's side.

"No you didn't" Zoe replied still staring at Jon Snow.

"I'm sorry this is Kit," Richard said noticing Zoe staring at him. "Kit this is my girlfriend Zoe."

"Girlfriend?" Kit queried "You kept that one quiet."

"Yeah well we only really made it official last night" Richard replied.

"I didn't even realise you were dating someone" Kit said walking over to Zoe to give her a hug. "Nice to meet you Zoe."

"I guess it's a long story" Zoe replied. They all walked back through to the living room and Richard began to explain everything that had happened over the last few days.

"Wow you really have had some unlucky days" Kit said to Zoe as Richard reached the end of his story. "I am so sorry to hear about your brother."

"Thank you." Zoe replied. "I have had some back luck these last few days but I have also met Richard which has changed my life."

Richard kissed Zoe on the lips and Kit watched his friend. The way he was around Zoe, Kit could see Richard truely cared for her and he could see how happy he was with her even through this sad time.

"Wait till I tell Rose" Kit chuckled. "Richard has gone and got himself a girlfriend. She will be dying to meet you."

"Rose is Kit's wife" Richard explained seeing Zoe's confused face. She didn't yet know who any of Richard's friends were yet other than Kit.

"I would love to meet all of Richard's friends too" Zoe replied "but maybe we could arrange something after the funeral? I don't quite think I am up to full friend gatherings just yet."

"Of course" Kit replied " sorry I was getting a bit ahead of myself there."

"It's ok" Zoe smiled.

"Speaking of the funeral please will you let me know the date and time once you know." Kit said. "I would like to show my support."

"You don't have to do that." Zoe said blushing slightly.

"A girlfriend of Richard's is a friend of mine, and I support my friends when they need it" Kit replied. Zoe stepped forward and gave Kit a hug to show her appreciation.

"Well I'll leave you two to it but I'll give you a call tomorrow Rich and see how things are" Kit said. They all said their goodbyes and then Kit left. Zoe had just started cuddling into Richard on the sofa when the phone rang.

"Hello is that Miss Dillon?" A mans voice asked.

"It is" Zoe replied.

"Hello, this is Dr Sinclair and I carried out the post mortem on your brothers body this morning." He replied.

"Do you know the cause of death" she asked sitting herself up straight. She felt Richard sit up besides her as he watched her on the phone."

"Yes you brother died of a major stroke. We believe as he was asleep at the time he would have been peaceful" he replied. "Now that the post mortem is completed you are now welcome to make any funeral arrangements."

"Thank you Doctor for letting me know" she replied as the call ended.

She turned to look at Richard as a fresh flood of tears arrived. Richard pulled her into his chest again and let her cry. She respected that he just held her and didn't press for answers. He knew that she would tell him in her own time.