Chapter Four-Injured But Still Smiling

In late July.

Chapter Four

Tyler's P.O.V

Jenni dives for another power kick at the far end of the goal post. There was no fear in her eyes.-God I loved her for being so fearless. She catches it beautifully, and kicks it towards Jess, our best forward player. "Nice save Jen!", I said, pumping my fist in the air.

It was her tenth beautiful save of the night, the score was 4-1. We we're kicking ass more then usual. She smiled that lovely smile of hers, grinning. She was our best goalie yet, and she knew she was doing awesome. Many years of playing sports in elementary was definitely shinning tonight.

"God Jen, your killing me here! Let me score once tonight!" exclaimed Erik, wiping the sweat off his face with his back hand. He stood there, shaking his head but he was smiling. He was only teasing her, I knew him way too well.

Jenni gave a apologetic look at him. "I'm sorry Newphie," she said, pushing her bangs away from her face. "Please don't kill me!" she added, giving her best scared look at him. If smiling big was a crime, I would be locked up for my whole life. She was so god darn cute for her own good. I smile wide like my usual self.

"Oh Cuteness, I can never hurt you." Erik says, jogging towards her for a huge hug. Before I realize it, I'm running towards them. GROUP HUG!

"Ooof, we love you too Tyler." said a muffled Jenni, as I wrapped my arms around a crushed Jenni and grinning like mad Erik. Happiest moment any guy can encounter. Jenni's sweet scent and Erik's Red Spice cologne soon hit me, and if I could stay in that moment forever hugging my closest guy friend and Jenni-the girl I think I'm falling for would be heaven. If only...

"Watch out guys! Stephen's coming with the ball!" yelled Jess, as all three of us jump back into reality. "Ah crap." I muttered, breaking away and taking stand as defence. Stephen was only a few more feet away from me.

"Miss Stephen, miss!" I said. He was either going to try to pass me right or left. "Nevaaaaa!." He was picking up speed.

"Over here Steve! Pass!" called out Erik. I took a chance and tried stealing the ball, but missed.

"Crap." I tried making a run at Stephen's heels.

Stephen kicks the ball towards Erik and all he had to do was to bunt it in, but he kicks it with full force. It was like I was in a movie and I was watching in slow motion. I wasn't sure if Jenni was caught off guard by the close-ness of Erik was near the goal post or if the sun got in her eyes, but she totally misjudged the ball distance and it hit her smack right in the face.

My hand went straight to my mouth in awe. Newfie, the goon did the same. I never saw a more sorrier face in my life, ever.

"Jenni! Are you okay?" Soon all of us we're crowding around Jenni. Stephen, Jess, Sharon, Nick, Dave, Newf and I we're just frozen, waiting for a response. She was being drowned with questions.

"Are you okay?"

"Can you still see?"

"Can you blink?"

"Does it hurt?"

"Do you think it's going to bruise?"

"Cool, a black eye to show off the visitors tomorrow!"-Typical of Dave to crack a joke about work.

Jenni laughs heartily. "Really guys, I'm okay. Nice kick there Newf by the way." she said, getting up. She kept her hand on her right eye.

"Are you really sure you okay?" Jess asked. "Let me see, move you hand." We all bent closer to take a closer look. It was just really red, not thankfully no bruising.

"I'm so so so so so sorry Jenni!" Come here!" Erik said, and he hugged her.

"Want my water battle to keep it on your eye? I might still have ice inside, just empty the water." he pointed out to the white Newfoundland logo water bottle near all of our things.

"Thanks Newfie, I'm just going to sit and watch the rest guys." she walks over with weak smile on her face. Like a soldier keeping a straight face when he's hurt. It was so painful not to give her a huge hug right there and then.

"I'm going to sit out guys too." I said, then I jogged over to sit down on the freshly cut grass near Jenni. She gives me a weak smile, which made my heart melt.

"How you doing Cuteness?" I asked, brushing a strand of her hair behind her ear. Her skin is always so soft..

"Hurts like heck, but I'll survive. I just can't believe I misjudged Newphie's distance, and the power of the kick. I should of ducked for my own good." She placed the water bottle gingerly on her eye. Her brown eyes seemed darker then usual. Something was on her mind.

"You trooper, you could of let one in." I teased, poking her in the side, more gentler then usual.

"Hey, I'm injured here." She turns at me, giving me her best glare, but she breaks and smiles two seconds later. It was so darn cute.

"What?" I gave my best innocent look. "What did I do?"

She lifts her eyebrow. "Oh you try to act innocent."

I shake my head. "So little trust you have in me."

She sticks her tongue out at me.

"I'm hurt." I gave her my best sad puppy eyes look.-I know it frustrates her every time, but I have a good laugh.

She sighs out loud then shakes her head. "Tyler Stone, you are so darn lucky you can do the puppy eyed look on command so well."

I smile, she gives me a "don't start look" but she breaks down and laughs.

I gave in, and wrap my arms around her for a hug. I rested my hand on her head, caressing her hair back and forth with my thumb. Her hair was always so soft too. Her sweet smell of some kind of fruit was taking over my senses, making me turn into mush. If only I could tell her how I feel...

"Thanks Tyler, you just know how to make me feel better." she whispered, pulling back. I looked directly into her pretty eyes, staring back at me. My heart beat beats faster, holding my breath wanting to hear those four words... I like you too.

"Your an awesome friend, you know that?" she whispered, smiling. It was killing me inside, if she only knew and could read my mind... could only see... I think I was falling for her...

I rubbed her knee tentatively. "I'm always here." Keeping my frozen robot smile plastered on my face. My hearts falls.

She just thinks of me as a friend...

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

So what the heck am I still sitting here wishing, wanting, yearning to kiss her?!