Chapter XVII: Happy Birthday//Nadia(4)

The Countess' birthday party was a full success

The Countess' birthday party was a full success. For over four hours laughter, conversation, speculation and the clinking of wine glasses filled the dinner room. Portia and the rest of the servants had tidied up everything by now and as time went by, as the clock ticked deeper and deeper into the night, the room slowly emptied. Guests leaving, people saying their goodbyes to get a good night's rest.
Soon it was noticeably quiet and only Nadia's story-telling voice filled the air with a note of amusement.
I listen to her, almost like I'd worship every word forming an ongoing story about her past. I sit next to her, chin propped up in my palm and eyes glued to Nadia's glow.
She uses her fork to pick around in a piece of cake, too deepened into her story to actually eat. I don't mind.
In fact, her silk-like voice is a welcomed change from the, before, voice-filled room.
"Oh dear, I've been talking for so long! How about one of your stories for an exchange? The life of an apprentice mustn't be an easy one." Nadia's eyelids lower and she grins eagerly at me.
I raise my posture, sitting up straight.
"Well, Milady, it really isn't that interesting. I... would not want to bore you." I feel the warm redness of a shy blush spread across my face.
"Oh please, my love, no false modesty. Tonight is my night and I wish to make it about... you, too." a little giggle escapes her full lips, taking a bite of her cake.
My heart drops. My love. I repeat the words in my mind, again and again. I could melt away.
"Well, have you ever heard of my first meeting with Portia? It's quite an... awkward but interesting one. I was on the market of Vesuvia and bumped into this girl and she dropped-" I start and continue to tell my story to the Countess.
Her face visibly glows whenever a smile would cross her cheeks.

When the story's over, I then only first realize how close Nadia suddenly is to me.
Her knees touch mine and the fingers that once carefully danced over the back of my hand, now fully locked with mine.
We... we are holding hands, in fact.
A well-known heat spreads across my face, which seems to amuse the Countess even more, judging by the pleased look on her face.
"A hundred gifts and none I appreciate more than you." she leans in closer to me.
I slightly recoil, not sure what to do or how to act.
I've known Nadia for a while now and there truly has been a certain spark between us but nothing that could lighten up a fire-
Not until our lips meet in a gentle kiss.

Fire. The spark that once heated up my face, now turns my body to wax, melting into the kiss.
When Nadia breaks away, I have no words.
Silence hangs thick in the air, only broken by a little giggle from Nadia.
"Oh how shy she is now. Don't be embarrassed, dear. Or have you swallowed your tongue?"
I shake my head quickly.
I must look so foolish.
Blush-flushed skin and unable to speak, because of a kiss.
"Thank you." I finally bring out, and wish I didn't.
I ponder what kind of response that even was, a 'thank you' for kissing a woman such as Milady.
Another laugh leaves her lips.
"No need to thank. Indeed, I should thank you for the beautiful evening."
She slowly rises from her chair.
"I have some goods to share, upstairs in my sleeping chamber. Care to join?"

I cannot believe her words. Unintentionally I point to myself, eyes widened.
"Yes, you. Or is there anyone else in the room?" Nadia's hand reaches out, I only slowly figure, she's demanding me to follow her... to her, bedroom...

(Hello my Lovelies! Sorry for not updating in so long but I legit had no motivation lol, but I hope this chapter's just fine, since I've been asked to write another Nadia one!xoxo)