Chapter XIII: Nightly Visitor//Muriel (2)

Muriel's hut seemed so much closer now, than when I got here the first time

I know he never said anything about being friends but, I still cared about him. Personally, I'd be scared, living in such a big forest all by myself, especially now that night was falling.
Well, Muriel may be tall and broad but every human needs some company from time to time. ... I mean, right?

I set foot in front of the small wooden door, raise my hand to knock and before my knuckles even touch the door, it opens with a loud creak and warm air rushes through my hair.
"I knew I heard female boots." Muriel exhales as his tall body calmly stands in front of me. "Good evening! I know you haven't like...invited me or anything but I thought I'd pay you a little visit." I smile sheepishly.
Muriel exhales through his nose, staring down at me. "And uh... would you like to come in?"
Surprised by his invite, my eyes widen and I nod quickly.

His hut is as comfortable as ever. Warm air, heated by the little fire place. The smell of ... cake?
"Mhhhm, what's that smell?" I raise my head to smell the room, inhaling deeply.
"I baked." Muriel mumbles, then disappearing into a small kitchen.
I follow with little, hurried steps.
Inanna is laying on a little blanket in the corner, raising her head when she hears me enter. I lower my pace to walk towards her, just to see if she'd growl.
Inanna stays quiet instead, smells my hand when I hold it in front of her and even lets me scratch behind her ear.
"I didn't know you could bake" I smile content, turning my head towards Muriel.
"I do. Sometimes." he shrugs and sets the cake down on a plate.
I let out a little giggle and get up, earning a little yawn from Inanna before she goes back to sleep.
"What a vigorous animal." I chuckle.
Muriel's lips curl into a mild little smile, before they go back to usual.
"Would you like a piece?" he asks quietly, setting the cake down next to me.
"I'd be a fool not to." I grin at him.

We talk through the evening and I must admit, I've never heard Muriel's raspy voice this much, at the same time it's quite soothing.
He's been talking about his past for the last 10 minutes and I flinch, any time he talks about his past fights.

"Isn't the Countess going to miss you?" Muriel asks out of the blue.
I raise my head to look at a clock on the wall. Almost 1 a.m. already?!
"Oh I didn't realize that I've been bothering you for hours on end."
Muriel gives me a little grin, leaning back "You are certainly no bother. Actually, it feels good to have someone around, that doesn't judge me by the things I had done."
As fast as that smile crossed his lips, it now faded away again.
"Well I'd love to walk home, but I'm afraid that I'd get lost." I walk towards the door and pull it open a bit. A cold breeze makes me shudder, night covering the forest in an almost threatening shadow.
A feeling, heavy as a stone in the pit of my stomach, makes me involuntarily frown. Muriel's face shows signs of sorrow, his brows furrowed in thought.
"Well, you could stay here if that would comfort you."
My eyes catch his and I smile, the thought of spending a night with Muriel seems joyful.
"As long as I'm no bother."

I watch as Muriel throws some blankets and a few pillows onto the little couch in his living room, next to the fire place.
"So where are you going to sleep?" I ask curiously, trying to peek over Muriels shoulder to see the makeshift bed.
"Don't know yet. I might just sit down somewhere or sit against a wall." he mumbles.
"Oh no no. I don't want to trouble you. Why don't you just uh... join me? We can sit down and figure something out." I sit down in-between the pillows and blankets, patting the soft material of the free space next to me. Muriel stares at me for a moment before gently sitting down next to me. He exhales and looks around, seemingly avoiding eye contact.
"So how long have you been living here for?" I break the silence, earning a look from Muriel, as if the outbreak of conversation had startled him.
"I can't really remember. It's been a while but I like it here. It's small and nobody disturbs me." he seems distant, looking around his home.
"It's indeed nice but won't you ever plan on moving back to Vesuvia? I mean not everyone hates you. I'm sure my friends Julian and Asra wouldn't mind a new acquaintance." I inch closer to him.
Muriel looks at me as if he wanted to move away, yet changes his mind when his demeanor softens.
"I'm not sure if they would like me."
The way he pronounced the me almost made my heart ache.
Flushed by compassion, I lean against his side, putting my hand on his, resting it in his lap.
"You don't have to be so cruel to yourself, Muriel." I mumble gently under my breath.
I feel Muriel's muscles tensing up, before releasing into a deep exhale.
"I'll protect you." I look up at him and smile.
The corner of Muriel's mouth curls into a shy smile, one that he's never given me before.
"Thank you (y/n)."
I feel his arm wrapping itself around my shoulder, pressing me against him. How odd, he had never hugged me before, not even to mention... cuddling me?