There were many people who came to San Francisco for the breathtaking views. The city was cast in a subdued shade of white under the morning fog, a crisp blue from the water during the day, and a beautiful array of orange and gold come sunset. The flowers of Lombard Street were vibrant in every color of the rainbow. Plenty of colorful houses in the Haight-Ashbury area or intricate murals in the Mission District made for perfect backdrops in a social media post.

Yet it was the finer details that really encapsulated the energy and essence of the city. Much like many European cities, biking is a popular mode of transportation to get around town. Many locals celebrate their pride in a judgment free space. Craft beers and artisanal eateries are more prevalent that most other American city. These subtle qualities helped to build character, making San Francisco a city that emitted a certain aura and reputation from its name alone. People certainly came for the landmarks, but they also came for the local experience.

I didn't know any of this beforehand. All I knew was how to prepare account entries and compile financial information into readable documents. As I said, I was missing out on a lot in life.

Paul nodded thoughtfully, evidently proud of his handiwork. "Well I'm glad to hear that bit of reflection, Dylan. I think this experience will serve you well moving forward. There are great things ahead of you."

"You're too kind, Paul."

"I'm serious. You have the ability to do amazing things. I'm going to make sure you realize that potential before I retire."

"There's still a lot of time then."

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear," Paul quoted, before giving a short but hearty laugh. "In this case, the object is retirement."

"The last time we talked, you said you still had some gas left in the tank."

"I do, but some isn't exactly an accurate definition, is it? You can't quantify some. Just like you can't quantify how many days I have left in this office. I'm not about to retire tomorrow, but it's not like I will be here for another decade. At some point, it's time to ride off into the sunset and enjoy some quality bonding time with my wife. I'm sure she will appreciate that."

"I'm sure she will."

"Enough about me," Paul announced as he stood up. "Just keep what I said in mind. I came in to check on your progress, and it looks like everything is going well. Keep it up, Dylan."

"Will do," I replied as I brought the files back to the center of the table. As soon as Paul was out of my office, it was back to work as usual.

At five o'clock, when my scheduled shift was up, I finished up the lines of calculations that I had been working on. The project wasn't complete, but I had made good progress and put myself slightly ahead of schedule. That was good for a day's work. I would have more time later in the week to wrap up the whole project.

For now, it was time to heed Paul's advice and spend some quality time with those who are important to me.

"Hey, Penny. Are you finished with work? Do you want me to pick you up for dinner?"

"Sure!" Penny replied cheerfully. "I'm just tidying up and will be ready to go in just a moment. Do you want to meet me at the boardwalk?"

"I'll be right there."

"See you soon!"

"See you soon, Penny."

Penny's voice brought me much excitement. I had been thinking about her for some time during today's shift and was quite looking forward to seeing her. I quickly grabbed my messenger bag and my keys, before heading towards the staff parking lot to retrieve my car.