Chapter 1

"Marnie, please answer for C." Don't you just dread that moment when the teacher calls on you.
"X equals minus six Sir." "Very good."
Even when you know the answer the feeling of everyone's eyes on you still makes your stomach drop.
When the back of your neck becomes hot, and your stomach feels like a bottomless pit. When you throats becomes dry, and there's no comfortable place for your tongue to sit in your mouth.

You'd be surprised how often this happens. When I walk into school, raise my hand in class, meet someone new, participate in student council meetings, even talking to my parents.
Enough of that, I won't spiral down today. Just breath in, count to three, breath out. Sometimes this helps.

I trudge through the crowded halls abundant with teens, exhausted from the previous week, they make their way out of the school, I do the same.
I always prolong the commute home, letting myself indulge in my surroundings.
The warm breeze hitting my fair skin, the bitter smell of coffee beans, mixed with the sweet smell of pastries from nearby cafes.
The collective chatter, and cheerful laughter of passing strangers. The joy of others has always made me happy, I've never figured out why, but I don't think I need to.

I take the long way home, but even with numerous, unnecessary, detours, I always end up home with my overbearing parents.
I mean it's not so bad, at least I know they care. My phone chimes.

Messages
Mom: "Come home soon, theres someone here you must meet."

Me: "Okay mother, see you soon."

Staring down at my phone I don't notice someone standing in my path, that is until I bump directly into their chest, or rather,

her chest.