Chapter Three

"You have selected January 1st, 2011. 12:28pm. Is this correct?"

I tap "yes" then I'm on my way. I hold my breath as the machine whirs away. I hear the ding! so I know I can get out. Sure enough, I'm right where I wanted to be. The right time, I mean.

Annie's next to me and we're holding hands. She looks scared and kinda sad, so I try to as well. I look up to see what's happening, and that's when I see them.

Mrs. LeBlanc.

And my mom.

Fighting.

Like two siblings for the last cookie or dogs for the owner's attention.

Katelyn LeBlanc and Mai Rose are fighting.

Before I tell you what they're saying, let me admit I was actually on Ms. Katie's side. I actually hated the things my mom was saying to her.

The conversation actually started out pretty simple.

But I know what's about to happen.

I was here for this.

"Thank you so much for the New Years lunch, Katelyn!" Mother told Ms. Katie. She never calls people by nicknames, EVER.

"Of course! Anytime," she said. "I was wondering if Jennie wanted to join us in going to the park and going to the movies after." She smiles.

My mother is hesitant. "What movie?" She asks.

"Yogi Bear." As soon as she answers, Mother starts googling the movie to see if it's appropriate.

Ms. Katie laughs a little, but it's obvious things are getting awkward and she's kinda irritated. "Mai, of course the movie will be appropriate. Why would I take Annie Hayley and Caleb with me otherwise?"

"Maybe because you expose your kids to internet at a young age and let them do whatever they want?" Fires Mother. Boy, does she get mad sometimes.

"Mai, please, the girls are listening—"

"I'm aware of that. So is Caleb," she says, Caleb peeks out from behind the couch and smiles sadly at Annie and I.

"Well, anyways, if you're gonna film the kids for this 'vlog' of yours then no. We're going home. Now. Come on Jennifer."

When we drive home I put my plan to work. It actually took a few hours, and let's hope my little experiment works.

The next morning, I decide to see.

"Mother?"

"Yes, Jennifer?"

"What happened with Bratayley and Acroanna?" I ask.

My mother smiles. "They're not a thing anymore," she says. "I showed Katie some articles and gave her facts and she listened to me for once."

I nod, and go back to my room to use the machine. My work here is done.

"You have selected your present timeline, except we're going yesterday. Is this correct?"

I tap "yes" and off I go.

I'm exactly at the point when Layla left the house and my mother asks me if I'm studying. Except now, she's asking me something different.

Funny how the little things make big differences.

"Jennifer, are you almost done with that essay?"

"Yes, Mother!" I saw an essay on my desk and I'm pretty much done with it. Before I went back in time I had already finished it long ago. And now, I'm just almost finished.

Huh.

I look around and actually notice some things that are different.

All the pictures of Layla and I that were hung up are gone.

My iPhone 6S is replaced with an iPhone XR.

And worst off all?

Layla Cummings isn't in my contacts.

I immediately rush downstairs to ask Mother a question.

What I don't notice as I go down is framed photos of me and a familiar brunette.

Well, it's kind of a question.

I guess.

"Layla Cummings?" I ask her.

She looks up from her coffee. "Don't tell me your obsessing over some YouTuber."

I laugh, but on the inside I'm not. "Never mind, thanks Mother!"

She chuckles. "When did you start calling me Mother?"

What??

I was NEVER allowed to call her just "Mom." Never!

I shrug.

She laughs. "It's okay, Jennie."

JENNIE?!

WHAT is going ON?

I obviously expected things to change, but not like this!

Before I can think one more thought about it, the doorbell rings. I rush to get it.

And I think I might faint.

Because, right there.

On the doormat.

Smiling.

It's none other than,

Julianna Grace LeBlanc.

And I mean,

14-year-old Julianna Grace LeBlanc.

The one who should be in LA.

The one who I haven't spoken to in 7 years.