Chapter Two

I'm doing it.

Today.

Right now.

I'm going to test my time machine.

"Seriously, Jen? Are you sure?"

Layla is helping me by making sure nothing goes wrong.

"Yep," I say.

"Okay..."

Ding dong!

"Haha, I'll get it," I say.

I open the door.

"Hi, Jennie!" It's Raine, Layla's younger sister. "Is Hayley here?" She giggles.

I roll my eyes. Raine is obsessed with Hayley LeBlanc, and she always asks if Hayley's here because she knows that I used to know her and that freaks her out. But the truth is, it makes me shudder to think about the past.

"Well, anyways, Mom said that Layla needs to come home now," she says.

"Okay, just a minute." I rush upstairs.

"That was Raine! Hurry up and send me away!"

Layla smiles. "Okay, where do you want to go?" She asks, about to start typing.

"Um, the day before the Titanic sunk. I'm gonna warm everyone." I knew it sounded stupid, but there's no way I'm gonna tell her where I'm really going. When I get there, I'll travel to where I REALLY want to go.

Layla laughs. "Okay, Jen. I'll trust you, for now."

Before I can say anything, she launches me. Up and out.

All of a sudden it's so blurry and I can't see anything. Okay, it's coming to me now. White walls, teal floor. Where am I?

And then I see something that makes me want to pass out.

It's Annie.

Well, it's not REALLY Annie. It's six-year-old Annie. But what difference does it make?

Here I go again, getting distracted.

She's doing a round off back handspring.

But wait.

Annie wasn't born when the Titanic happened.

"Hey Jennie."

I jerk my head up. Look who it is. How convenient.

It's Annie.

"Do you think I did good?" She asks me.

That's when I realize.

I'm at our level 4 gymnastics meet.

That happened almost 8 years ago.

"Uh, yeah." If I'm 14, how can she not tell I've gotten older?

"I-I need a mirror," I say, standing up.

Little Annie shrugs. "Go to the bathroom," she says.

I ask our coach, nervous, and she doesn't even blink an eye. Okay, what is going on?!

As soon as I look in the mirror, I see me.

Six-year-old me.

In a leotard.

Ready to compete.

Well.

That makes sense now.

But, how did I get here?

I smack my hand to my forehead. "Layla!" I scream, a little too loud. A young kid and her Mom stares at me. Hard to believe she would be like 13 by now. She's so cute. I smile at her and she smiles back. Then I realize I look like I'm six, and look away.

I walk out of the bathroom, thinking.

Layla! If course she did that! She knows me so well, she knows I was gonna go somewhere having to do with Annie or Bratayley or whatnot.

Well, I guess I'll thank her. This was like a test to see exactly how the time machine works. And I think I got it all under control.

I take the machine to the bathroom (I placed it in front of the mirror earlier, it's invisible to everyone else, which is pretty cool) and hop inside. And I go back to a very important date. Well, it is to me anyways.

January 1st, 2011.