Chapter 13

Ruth wondered if it was a good thing that she felt more at ease in a cell than she did anywhere else in the facility. It left her a guard, a wall from everyone outside. She couldn't help but think that as soon as she stepped foot into that Hydra facility in DC, she was immediately involved within something that was way too big for her to even comprehend.

"We have a plan," Tony started, striding into the cell block to find Bucky and Ruth exactly as they were a couple of hours ago. "Well, the beginning of a plan. We need your help to figure out details," Tony explained to Ruth.

"Can she at least get out of this cell first?" Bucky asked, impatient with how long he's had to sit in this incredibly uncomfortable chair.

Tony's face scrunched, "Eh, not yet, but soon. When I get a plan going, we'll get set to leave, grab Ruth, and head out."

"So what's the plan?" Ruth asked, standing up and close to the glass.

"Romanoff looked into Mage. And although she couldn't find anything recent to where he could be, there is a gala coming up in Russia where we suspect there could be Hydra activity," Tony explained.

"Activity of what kind?" Ruth asked.

"Leaders. Mage, and anyone else who has a lead role in Hydra could be there. It's a big event where business leaders all around Europe get together and schmooze each other."

"So you want to gather intel?" Ruth asked.

"No, I want you to gather intel," Tony replied matter-of-factly.

"Excuse me?" Ruth asked, not believing anyone here would trust her with that kind of mission.

"Well, you and Barnes here. I was thinking that you two would go in, dress up, and see who you can talk to."

"Why us?" Bucky asked, standing up from his seat. "I was just on the international news for suspected terrorism not too long ago."

"Do you really think these rich aristocrats will care about that stuff?" Tony remarked. "Besides, once you're all dressed up, you'll be good to go."

"But why us?" Ruth repeated.

"Oddly enough, except for Sam, you two are the ones least likely to be recognized by any of the people there. And you know who to look for, you're both fluent in Russian, and you've worked together. I can't say the same for Sam," Tony explained.

Ruth took a deep breath, looking up to Bucky for his answer, only to find him doing the exact same thing. She had to do this. For SHIELD. For Ryker.

"Where in Russia?" Ruth asked, Tony recognizing that she was agreeing to the plan.

"St. Petersburg. The gala's in two days," Tony replied.

Ruth nodded. "I still have a question," she started, looking to Tony.

"Shoot."

"When Steve, Sam, and Bucky came to Sweden to find me, Hydra showed up the same day. Before then, Hydra hadn't actively pursued trying to capture me. I'm not sure if I believe in that big of a coincidence," Ruth explained.

"What are you saying?" Tony asked, glancing at Bucky.

"I'm saying we need to keep an eye out," Ruth replied, her voice low.

Tony glanced back and forth between Ruth and Bucky. "Let's just work on getting you out of here and then we'll try to get some questions answered." Tony sighed, "Now I need to come up with enough for your blood test to satisfy Ross. Until then, sit tight."