Chapter 18: Call of Adventure

Start from the beginning

"Good morning my love," she said, still sounding a bit sleepy. "Where's Pearl?"

"She just got up a little bit ago. Blue... I've been thinking. I wish I'd known Pink. Because since I didn't... I can't feel the grief that you do, and that really bothers me, and I really hope it isn't going to cause problems. And I wish there was something I could do to help, but I know there isn't. She's gone, and nothing I do will have any effect on that story." You carefully held her hands. "But there's another story which isn't over. You may have lost Pink, but we haven't lost Black - not yet. And we aren't going to, either. I want to start looking as soon as we can. We're going to bring her home."

Blue laughed softly.

"What's funny?" you asked, smiling but genuinely confused.

"Oh, it's just, you know all the right things to say to your Diamond. I didn't think we were on Homeworld THAT long!"

You laughed together for a while, then both got to your feet to start your day. Before joining you for breakfast (Blue preferred not to partake of anything herself), Blue stepped outside for her "morning stretch" - her euphemism for returning to her normal size for a few minutes before she went back into the tiny space of your home. You wondered how exactly it worked; her gem was supposed to be the one part of her made of conventional matter, yet it seemed to scale with the rest of her, instead of taking up her entire torso when she shrunk down. When you asked, her only answer was a joking "I'm a Diamond, don't question it."

Over the next few days, you quickly realised this was going to be a very mobile lifestyle. It turned out Blue was almost constantly on business, even compared to the other Diamonds. You recalled her having mentioned that she kept food aboard for when she had to host organic diplomats, and it turned out she did so frequently. She held a seat on the Council of Eight Great Races, an intergovernmental organisation comprised of representatives of the Milky Way galaxy's most powerful and influential civilisations: Astrals, the celestial race which created the first gems, Kuljakanananakajluk, the absurdly long-named humanoids who no doubt inspired human popular culture's simply-named "Greys," Utopians, a pacifist race who long ago became so technologically advanced that they were now entirely robotic, Tarkanians, a historically warlike race of stocky fish-like men (and indeed, they were entirely male), Endarisiens, a short amphibious race notable for being the first organic species to return to interstellar travel after the start of the Umbran Wars, Veelox, a species with five sexes, a hive-like social structure, and a preference for biological technology, Daerovaks, regenerative amphibians who were generally estimated to be the most populous and widespread race in the galaxy, and, of course, gems, who were represented by Blue Diamond. Mostly their meetings seemed to be a lot of dry political discussion and debate which didn't accomplish anything tangible. Several times, Blue was called in to mediate simply because the Veelox and Tarkanian representatives were feuding because one had misgendered the other - obviously a common occurrence when one had only a male gender and the other had five genders which didn't include male or female.

Poor Blue couldn't even get a break when she wasn't being called to Council summits. She had to personally oversee all gem production within her court on Homeworld, as well as on her colonies. You weren't clear whether this was just customary or whether White demanded it, and Blue wasn't entirely certain herself. All things considered, she usually ended up being able to spend only a few days on Earth each month, if she was lucky. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as it meant you missed a hostile invasion of Earth just a few days after you started travelling... but that's a story for another time. It wasn't an easy lifestyle, but you wouldn't have traded the chance to travel with her and Pearl and see completely alien worlds and cultures unlike any you could have imagined for anything. And as busy as her schedule was, Blue never failed to make time for you.