Chapter 5: Perspectives

“Oh, My Diamond! You’re… uh… smaller than usual.”

You heard her give an amused snort as she continued to sit facing away from you.

“I only wanted to gain a different perspective. So this is how humans see the world…” She looked up towards the ceiling. “I must be truly terrifying in your eyes.”

“Oh, no, no,” you groaned groggily. “Not at all. Although I’ll admit the fact that you could squish me if you accidentally stepped on me at your regular height does give me extra motivation to be respectful.”

“Hehe. I’ll try to be careful. I don’t want you to fear me. I… I want to be someone you trust. Because there are things I want to say, but I fear I’d sound as though I’ve gone mad.” She tilted her head to the side. “Who knows? Maybe I have.”

You sat up straight.

“Hey. We can trust each other, and we’re going to have to. What’s troubling you?”

“Things seem… wrong. Incorrect. Different.”

“Not as you remember them?” you suggested.

“Yes,” she said, turning to you with surprise in her eyes.

“Yeah. I know exactly what you mean. It’s like all of the borders back home are completely wrong, even the shape of the continents. And I hope this doesn’t seem insulting in any way, but I don’t remember from my childhood there being any mention of gems having been to Earth or even existing.”

“Precisely. I am certain two new humans were taken to the zoo not long ago, one of them by me. I remember them clearly. But they aren’t there now, and the supervising Agate claims to be unaware of any escape… which would have been quite impossible anyway. And now… I’m no longer certain even of what happened to Pink…”

“You can tell me if you want to. I won’t think you’re crazy. Like I said, I’ve been noticing the same sorts of things.”

“Rose Quartz shattered Pink Diamond right in front of her palanquin. That’s the story. That’s what every gem who was present saw.”

“But that isn't the story anymore, is it?”

“No, it still is. What's changed is that it no longer seems possible for that to be the truth, or at least not so simply.” She paused to wipe tears away. “How am I supposed to accept what happened and carry on with my existence when I've never, after all these years, known the truth?”

“You don’t have to talk about it right now if it’s too much,” you said, placing a hand on her shoulder. She smiled through her tears and rested her hand on top of yours.

“No. I… I need to be able to talk to someone, if only just to try to make sense of it all in my own head.”

“Okay. And are you sure you're comfortable, being at this size?”

“I can hold it for quite a while yet. Though I do truly appreciate your concern. The issue is that Rose surrendered several months ago… only it didn't look like her. It looked identical to one of the new zoo humans. I'm not convinced that it was her, to be perfectly honest. She pretended not to even know how she shattered Pink… but the more I think about it, she didn't seem like she was pretending. The defending zircon - the equivalent of an attorney in many cultures - then raised several problems with the story; namely that there is no conceivable way that Rose Quartz, a known and wanted criminal, could have gotten near enough to Pink to shatter her, let alone unopposed. Furthermore, our scholars have found multiple references to the sword of Rose Quartz - the very weapon she used - being designed to be incapable of shattering a gem. I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't know who to be angry at. I know only that Pink is g-gone f-f… forever…”