Chapter 11: Home

We got down to the lab and the first noticeable things were the alarms blaring and the groans of dinosaurs. I immediately limped my way to the large glass window and looked out over the smoke-filled hallways,

  "What happened?" I asked in a quiet voice. I don't think they heard me over the noises, but the brunette who I now know as Zara explained the situation.

 "The blast damaged the ventilation system, we did everything we could," The gravel in her voice showed the regret and anger she had for the circumstance. Claire stepped up to the computer console and started pressing buttons,

 "I can open the gates from here," she said. I heard metal squeaking and heard thunderous footsteps. I looked back down at the concrete hallway and saw dinosaurs starting to flood the small space. Owen stepped toward Claire, trying to stop her,

   "Claire, be careful. we're not on an island anymore," he told her in a solemn voice. I could tell that he, too was affected by this. I knew that this was wrong all of it, and I couldn't help but feel like some of it was my fault. Maisie walked up to me and wrapped her arms around mine. I could feel her wet cheeks on my bare arms. I looked down at her and she looked up at me.

"Claire," I heard Owen trail off. I turned my head and saw that Claire was about to open the main gate, letting the animals into the world, free and alive. "You press that button, there is no going back," Owen finished calmly.

  "We can't let them die!" Frantically, Claire turned to the window to look at the anguished animals before looking back at the button. She hesitated, but closed the plastic flap over the button, moving away from the console. I looked back at Maisie and whispered down to her,

    "I'm going to let them go. They deserve a chance, don't you think?" I gave her a sad smile. She returned the expression to me and we quietly moved toward the button.

"On three," Maisie started. She placed her hand on the button and I rested my hand on hers. I nodded and we counted together,

"One,"

"Two,"

"Three," We whispered before pressing the button. The red flashing lights turned green as the large gate opened and the dinosaurs rushed out of the small corridor. Everyone turned to look at Maisie and me in surprise, but I kept my face neutral.

 "We had to. They're alive," Maisie began as she took deep breaths.

    "Like us," I finished. I pulled Maisie away from the console, gently, and gave her a hug. I watched the last of the dinosaurs vacate the premises before Owen lead us out of the lab.

~***~  

    We were walking toward the front entrance, finally leaving the wreckage behind. I was lagging behind because my feet were starting to give me more trouble.

  "Hey, you okay?" Someone in front of me asked when I stopped to readjust my makeshift bandages. I looked up and saw Zara and the other guy and had stopped to wait for me. I nodded and explained what happened to my feet while the Indoraptor was chasing Maisie and me. Zara nodded in understanding, "You need a ride?" She asked with a sly smirk. I got really confused as to what she meant. She saw my expression and grabbed her friend's shoulder harshly, thrusting him toward me, "He can help you. He's a real gentleman," She droned as she crossed her arms. The guys face paled as he looked from me to Zara, but he shook his head and cleared his throat.

    "Yeah, I guess I can give you a ride on my back," He still looked nervous and his voice cracked. I giggled a bit as I struggled to stand. He turned around and kneeled down so I could get on his back.