test drive - dallas

pairing: dallas x reader

warnings: none

summary: you're in for the long haul. he's treating it like a test drive.

---

When you fought with Dallas, it felt like the whole world was falling apart. He knew exactly what words to use to hurt you, exactly which insecurities to exploit. That was the dangerous part of being love with someone like Dallas Winston - to love is to trust, to show someone who you are inside and out, to give him the power to completely destroy you.

"I don't think you're as committed to this relationship as I am," you spoke, your voice quivering. Your nails bit into your skin as you made tiny fists with your hands. You hated feeling like this, like you were going to sink into the ground in front of him. You hated that he had this amount of control over you, that he was the sun and you simply revolved around him.

"And? You knew what you were gettin' into when we started dating, doll," Dally snapped, his nostrils flaring. You watched as his face reddened, and before you could realized what was happening, he snatched a mug from the dinner table and chucked it at the wall. You flinched as the mug shattered. It wasn't so much the noise that shocked you, it was how upset Dally was. You'd never seen him this angry, this out of control. He was usually very adept at swallowing his emotions, putting on an air of nonchalance. But now, you could tell that your words were digging into him, that he knew you were right, that he wasn't showing you exactly how much he appreciated you. He knew that you deserved better than a man who acted like this was a test drive and not a serious relationship.

"I thought you could change," you whispered. "I thought..."

"If you were looking for a damn Prince Charmin', you picked the wrong man."

You shut your eyes tightly before wrapping your arms around yourself. Hot tears made their way down your face as you cursed yourself for ever falling in love with such a heartless person, someone who didn't think twice about breaking your heart. You cursed yourself, because here you were, crying in front of him for what felt like the hundredth time. You cursed yourself because no matter how many times he hurt you, you always came crawling back to him, thinking he could change.

"A-Are you cryin'?"

You opened your eyes to see Dally standing in front of you, his arms crossed. As you looked into his chocolate eyes, you realized you couldn't read him. Usually, you knew from the look in his eyes how he felt, but now, it was like looking at a complete stranger. You scoffed, turning away from him and hugging yourself even tighter.

"Like you care anyways, Dal."

"Stop, don't say that," Dally said, placing a hand on your shoulder and turning you towards him again. You refused to look at him, instead staring at your shoes. Shoes he had stolen for you for your birthday. "Look, I'm sorry. Just stop cryin', please. I hate seeing you cry. I'm being a dick, I know."

"I don't know how long I can go on like this," you blurted out, shaking your head. Dally placed another hand on your shoulder, and you realized he was shaking. "You're treating this relationship like it's disposable, and I don't want that. I am so utterly in love with you, Dallas, but I won't hesitate to leave you if you don't love me back. I deserve better, I know I do."

When Dally didn't answer, you looked up. Meeting his eyes again, you couldn't help but think that you were still looking at a stranger because Dallas Winston was crying. Dallas Winston, the no good hood from New York was crying. He pulled you into his chest, making you gasp. "I know, doll. I'm sorry."

"That's what you always say."

"H-" Dally started, but stopped himself. He took a deep breath, looking you straight in the eye. Before he even opened his mouth, you knew what he was going to say. You knew he was about to say three words that he'd promised himself would never come out his mouth, three words that he'd kept for only you. "I...I love you."

Hearing Dallas Winston say those words for the first time made everything worth it.