Chapter 5

Rose stuck close to Ten as they cautiously trod down the tunnel, dodging the intermittant drops of dew that would seep through the cracks in the ceiling and drip into their hair when they were least expecting it. She could hear Eleven and Clara whispering none-too-quietly behind her and it annoyed her more than it should have. 

"You alright?" Ten asked, concerned, after she shot Clara daggers for what seemed like the hundredth time in the past five minutes.

"Fine, yeah." She replied non-commitally, rubbing her forearms briskly in a doomed attempt to keep off the chill. Apparently her Doctor wasn't finished, however, as he waggled a finger disagreeingly in her direction and said, "No, somethings wrong. Something's very wrong with you; I know that face."

"What face?" Rose bristled. She had thought that she had been doing an exceptional job at keeping her dislike for Clara under wraps.

"You know...the face."

Rose ducked to avoid a low-hanging pipe and scowled. "I am not," she protested, then glared as Clara giggled behind her at Eleven hitting his head on the pipe that she had just dodged. 

"If you're really that bothered by her, just go and chat. Get to know her before you judge. Sarah Jane turned out OK, didn't she?" He answered, oblivious (or at least acting like it) to exactly why Rose didn't like about Clara. 

"I'm not talking to her," Rose said sulkily.

"Why not? She seems alright to me," said Ten, sniffing and glancing over his shoulder and smiling winningly at Clara when she waved. She lifted her chin to Rose as well, who promptly turned her back. Clara's face fell, confused, and she whispered something on the side to Eleven that Rose didn't catch. 

 "She would, wouldn't she," Rose muttered under her breath. She didn't quite know what it was about the older woman that irked her more- the fact that she was so obviously in a steady relationship with the Doctor or that she was so damn nice. 

The group carried on walking in silence for a moment, brisk pace slowing from a power walk to a wander as the tiles beneath their feet deteriorated into increasingly dangerous mess, broken shards protruding under foot. Mud squelched up the sides and between the cracks whenever Rose stepped on one, the stagnant liquid coming uncomfortably close to flooding her shoe.  

"Where am I?" Rose blurted suddenly, "in your future, I mean. Where am I?" 

Ten swallowed uncomfortably, scratching the back of his neck. "Why don't you ask him?" 

Rose huffed, and changed the subject. 

"Keep an eye out for Autons, would you love?" Eleven asked Clara, eyes scanning the tunnel for clues as they explored deeper underground. Clara folded her arms across her chest protectively, shivering at the implications that came with his question. 

"Why, should we be worried?" She answered, "I thought you said I was safe?" 

Eleven stopped walking briefly, eyes flicking appreciatively over her. "Of course you are," he answered, resuming walking, "But I would feel a lot better if you kept both eyes peeled for living plastic."

"OK," Clara agreed, pushing her fringe out of her eyes self-consciously. Eleven took her hand and squeezed it, drawing her closer to his side. She smiled, hiding behind a curtain of hair as she checked the corridor behind them for roaming killer waiters. None so far.

"Why does Rose hate me?" She asked the Doctor abruptly when the younger girl threw her yet another filthy look. "What have I ever done to her?" She paused. "Was it one of my echoes?"