Chapter 4

Rose and Ten went first, dodging and weaving past the ailing Auton. The combined din of both sonics working at a frequency higher than human hearing was enough to force it to it's knees in distress, but not enough to decomission it completely.

The Time Lords were sending the Nestene Consciousness a message.

 We are here. We are coming. Be afraid. 

Ten levelled his sonic at the lock on the door, fingers frantically flitting across the contours of the case as he switched settings. Rose watched for Autons next to him, keeping an eye on Eleven and Clara as they began their sprint to the door. It was a lot more dangerous than hers and Ten's had been, as the Autons had begun to twig what was going on and were reacting to the situation much faster than both Doctors had anticipated. Their guns were fully exposed and glowing red-hot and surely, any moment now, they were going to-

A faint fizz filled the air, static electricity building in the room, and Rose had enough time to register a bam and a whoosh of air as she was tugged to the ground. The lobby glowed red as beams criss-crossed fatally above them, the Auton's wrists jerking upwards as their deadly contents were released. Somewhere in front of her, through the dust and the smoke of dozens of lasers hitting furniture and walls, Rose could just about make out the silhouettes of two people on the floor. She breathed a sigh of relief- however much she distrusted Clara she certainly didn't want her dead- but it was cut short when she saw how she was panicking and clutching at Eleven's sleeve. 

Rose extricated herself from the Doctor and crawled over to Clara on all fours. The woman was nearly beside herself with worry, and when Rose reached her she quickly saw why. Eleven's arm had suffered a glancing shot to the elbow, the laser searing through his tweed jacket and scorching the delicate pale skin there. Clara had been ripping his jacket up further to allow better access to the wound to treat it when Rose had arrived, and now she just sat there and stared at it, seemingly suffering from a bit of shock. Rose placed a hand reassuringly on Clara's shoulder, squeezing it so she would turn to look at her.

"Come on;" she urged Clara, noting nervously how the Autons were lining them up for a better, deadlier, shot, "we'll get him through that door and then we'll treat him properly." 

Clara nodded and uttered not a word, sliding her hands under his shoulders to drag him through the door that was now open, Ten guarding it. Rose grabbed Eleven by the ankles and hoisted him up off the floor, helping Clara carry him and making their progress twice as quick. Ten ushered them through the door then shut it, locking it securely. 

"What just happened?" He demanded as the women set Eleven down on the floor. 

"We were running," Clara said, trying to calm down as she rummaged through Eleven's deep pockets, desperately trying to remember where he had put the New Earth Nano-Kit that he had given her a lesson on how to use, "and then he fell. Just like- ahah!" She exclaimed triumphantly, brandishing a futuristic first-aid kit in the air. "And he told me that it was impossible for humans to find anything in his pockets," she said, smirking. She flicked the clasps open and dug in, tossing aside packets filled with different coloured gels until she came to a stark white one, a fire symbol stamped onto the front of the packet. She punctured the symbol with a nail, ripping a hole so that the gel oozed out, and pressed it against the burn muttering a quick prayer. 

The pack emptied quickly as it was pressed against Eleven's burning skin, and gradually the heat under Clara's fingers lessened and cooled until he returned to his usual temperature. She lifted the pouch bit by bit until the nano liquid had finished knitting his skin back together, the new flesh baby pink and raw-looking under the light of Ten's sonic. Eleven opened his eyes warily and stared up at Clara as she brushed his quiff back from his forehead.