Chapter 2 | The Spark

They say cupids must have struck them when they found the one.

When we hear of it, we think it's lame. It's old for the 21st century. Cheesy na kumbaga dahil pinagsawaan na ng pandinig natin.

But do you wonder why such a concept of being exists for centuries?

Have we ever wondered how many years has it been since the first use of the word "cupid"?

Maybe because someone thought of the idea of cupids and wrote it and passed it off as a book for children?

Then came the metaphors and it became a good word to describe your sudden interest for a stranger.

Or maybe just simply because cupids are real?

6 years ago

Year 2018

"HAILEE."nag-angat ako ng tingin nang marinig ang pangalan ko.

Hailee...

A name given to me right when I opened my eyes and was introduced to the life of a cupid.

A name that I loathe but the only thing that makes sense to our being because I would rather call by this name than numbers like a prisoner.

Cupid 1456789 is the last cupid called by number and that was history.

Inip na inip akong tumayo mula sa kinauupuan at lumapit papunta sa malaking puting mesa at tinignan ng diretso sa mata ang isang matandang babaeng hindi ko alam kung ilang taon na bang matanda.

When I first saw her, she was old.

And now, she's still just the same old woman.

Her aura may have surpassed the witches from children's books but despite this, in the world of cupids, she is just normal as many old women look exactly just like her are scattered around the world like branch supervisors.

Hence, we simply call them managers.

"That's 1,453 less of your quest." walang emosyong sabi nito habang nagtitipa sa makabagong computer na nasa harapan nito. Ilang sandali pa ay inilapag nito sa front desk ang isang kapirasong papel.

I grunted when I saw the numbers written on it.

75,898

- 1,453

______

74,445

I spent an entire year for this?

"It's been 65 years already since I started as cupid. Is there any way to deduct my quest?"I didn't hesitate to ask even though I knew the manager's answer.

"You know the rule, Hailee,"manager sighed like she's getting tired of getting the same question. "Complete your quest then you'll get the life of a human." she stated then pushed a bunch of unopened envelopes towards me.

Wala akong ibang nagawa kung hindi ang mapabuntong-hininga at kinuha ang maliit na papel na tila resibo at ang mga sobre bago naglakad papalabas sa lumang gusali.

Mula sa labas, tinanaw ko ang gusali at pinagmasdan nang maigi ang hitsura nito.

The building is intended to be old to not garner any attention from humans. Sa isang normal na tao, hindi siya pansinin dahil bukod sa mukhang luma na ito, nasa liblib na lugar din ito nakatayo.