Don't Forget (Part 2)

"Anxious. I definitely feel anxious. It is kind of weird, waking up in a hospital with a doctor you've never met before calling your name. I'm glad he didn't take too long with the questions, for that room with the disgustingly pale green walls made me sick to my stomach. The nurse was nice as she walked me to this house, we made some small talk, and I got a good look at the town. The sun was shining a bright orange and cast its warm reach over the beautiful buildings of brick and the tallest trees in the luscious park. When the nurse brought me to this house, I felt that I just had to ask her some questions about what was going on. She told me I had been in an accident and that I must have lost my memory, but that I was fine now and I was at home. Then, another nurse walked by the house and with her another woman, fairly young at the moment, yet certainly aging. I felt a strange connection as she approached me, as if I knew who she was, but nothing rang out to me. The nurses told me that she was my girlfriend, and we were living together in this old place. She told me her name, May. I couldn't think of my name, which was quite embarrassing, but the nurses told her, and me, that it was Gavin. The nurses said their goodbyes and walked away back to the hospital, only a couple blocks away. May and I then walked inside and looked at our house. It took an hour before we spoke to one another, but when we did, we found out that both of us had been in the same accident. When I checked the clock, I found that what I thought to be early morning was actually late afternoon. I then found out that I knew how to cook, and I made dinner for May and myself. Over dinner we tried to talk, but there was not much to talk about, for neither of us could remember anything. So we just smiled and sat in an uncomfortable silence. Then, I felt tired so I came in this room to sleep, which is when I chanced upon this recorder, with the note from my doctor as to record a daily diary in it. I wonder what I'll do tomorrow."

********************************************

"Today was most definitely quite nice, and I hope that the days to come bring just as much joy and jubilation. May and I decided to perambulate around town, buying a quick breakfast from a lovely café. At the zoo, May sounded as if she were a broken record, saying little more than, "Aww...Look at how cute it is!" repeatedly. As we ambled around the maze of metal cages and reeking animals, I tried to get a better look at May. I didn't really find her anything special, she was attractive but not quite of a divine, statuesque beauty. Besides, her "broken record" manner of speaking could irk my nerves. Since neither of us could remember anything before the accident, May constantly tried to make conversation on subjects quite lackluster and trivial. Her attempt to be friendly became quite pestering, and there was no escaping her constant verbose prate. On our way out of the park, May insisted that we visit one of the zoo's main attractions, a pit where all the wild cats lived. She then urged me to buy some fish to toss to the hungry animals in the pit below. We walked around, throwing the slimy fish to the mousers that stalked us from below. Yet while all animals had their eyes fixated on the fish, one creature stared at me. The glaring brown eyes of the flaxen ocelot focused on me. I shot a quick glance at the creature, and naturally tossed it one of the fish. It grabbed it in its tiny jaws, and quickly swallowed it subsequently. Yet it purred, and continued to stare at me, longing for something. I felt the stare of the creature on me, a gaze akin to the one a child would aim lovingly at its parent. It was as if the feline had known me from some time ere now. I stared back at the ocelot, but I was interrupted by a man who approached me. 'Ay! Gavin, ma boy! Hows ya doin'?' I turned to the man, abhorred by the twang of his accent. I just stared at the man, and he looked back at me, before he said, 'Ay, what's da mattah? Ya look like yah just meetin' me for da first time!' 'Well, is it?' I asked. His face molded into an indescribably irritating mien of confusion, and said, 'But its only been like a week? How'd ya not remember ya friend Mickey?' 'I'm sorry,' I said, 'I was in a car accident recently, and I have lost all memories I had of my life anterior to the accident.' Once again, his expression was that of confusion, and he said, 'Wasn't dat what ya said, like, two weeks ago? Was ya both in a second car accident?' 'Two weeks ago?' I asked, 'What do you mean, two weeks ago?' 'Well wasn't dat when yas were at that music show, right?' Mickey said, 'It was then that ya said yas was in a car accident!' I stared and asked, 'What music show? I have no memory of any musical performances.' Mickey just stared, and then he shrugged, 'Eh, what do I know? Maybe car accidents give you amnesia several times! I'm not a biggy on all dat medical stuffs. Hey, if ya ever need ta talk, here's ma number.' He scribbled posthaste on a scrap of paper, and handed me his number. 'Well,' he said, 'See ya!' and perambulated away. 'What a peculiar man!' May said, and I had but to concur. We turned around to leave, but I heard a most annoying twang call out back to me. 'Hey Gavin!' Mickey came running up to us, 'If ya got some troubles with ya memory, why don't ya read up on ya condition? The library might have some books on your amnesia and whatnot. That's all, see ya! Again!' I waved him off, and rolled my eyes as he walked away, hoping that today I would not have to hear that horrible cadence. We went home, and all the way May constantly rambled about the day of which I too had experienced. Although the doctors said we were boyfriend and girlfriend, I have no memory of having any affection towards her, and my first impression of her was at most, memorable in an infamous way. I think it would be most prudent to break up the apparent relationship between us, before things get too serious."