Don't Forget (Part 1)

"Anxious. I definitely feel anxious. It is... most peculiar...waking up in a hospital with a doctor you've never met before calling your name. I'm glad he didn't take too long with the questions, for that room, walls of a disgustingly pale green, irritated me to the point of nausea. Though while the room was quite repugnant, I would have braved it but to ask the doctor a couple questions of my own, an opportunity I never got. The nurse upheld a certain level of politesse as she walked me to this house. We made some small talk of simple and trivial matters, my mind less focused on the hollow conversation and rather on trying to take a good look at the town. The sun was shining a bright orange and cast its warm reach over the beautiful buildings of brick and the tallest trees in the luscious park.

  "When the nurse brought me to this house, I felt that the opportunity had arisen to ask her a couple questions of my own as to what was going on. She told me I had been in an accident and that I must have lost my memory, but that I was fine now and I was at home. Then, another nurse walked by the house and with her another woman, pretty young. I felt a strange connection as she approached me, as if I knew who she was, but nothing rang out to me. The nurses told me that she was my girlfriend, and we were living together in this old place. She told me her name, May. I couldn't think of my name, which was quite embarrassing, but the nurses told her, and me, that it was Gavin. The nurses said their goodbyes and walked away back to the hospital, only a couple blocks away.

  "May and I then walked inside and looked at our house. It took an hour before we spoke to one another, but when we did, we found out that both of us had been in the same accident. When I checked the clock, I found that what I thought to be early morning was actually late afternoon. I then found out that I knew how to cook, and I made dinner for May and myself. Over dinner we made a feeble attempt to talk, but there was not much to talk about, for neither of us could remember anything. So we just smiled and sat in an uncomfortable silence. Then, I felt tired so I came in this room to sleep, which is when I chanced upon this recorder, with the note from my doctor as to record a daily diary in it. I wonder what I'll do tomorrow."

***************************************************

"Oh, today was all sorts of wonderful! This morning, May and I woke up and decided to see the town. There was a pleasant little café down the street from the house, and we ate breakfast and brunch there. I had no idea how hungry I was, but I scarfed down pile after pile of the most savory buttermilk pancakes with the richest chocolate chips and the sweetest syrup. May was quite energetic this morning, and I feared if we ordered coffee she would just shoot through the roof. She laughed at the slightest provocation, and she was talking at a hundred miles an hour. I noticed how every time she moved, she trembled and shook, as if all that excess energy was spewing out. She caught me just staring at her several times, but I didn't think it mattered, for apparently we were in a relationship.

"After brunch we decided to take a walk through the park, which was quite nice even for a windy day. The sun and the shade perfectly balanced to create a nice environment for us to walk through. There were dogs playing catch with their owners, children playing tag in the dirt, and happy old couples gaily feeding pigeons with bread crumbs, you know, the usual sights. From the park, we stumbled onto the town zoo, which had but a small fee to enter. We walked around, taking in all the animals and exhibits. May would go awww and point at every animal we passed, even though many I found to be not as appealing to the eyes. At some points, May would even make a face trying to mimic the animal. I found myself laughing at her every time she made those faces, for truly it was cute. Then it began to rain, and we rushed into a nearby building, which turned out to be the gift shop. May had her eyes fixed on a plush elephant in the corner, and sighed in awe as she looked at it. I thought to myself, "Why not?" And so I bought it for her. She hugged me and repeatedly said in her high-pitched voice, "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" as if she was a broken record stuck on one point.