8. You Make Me Feel So Alive

Start from the beginning

"What? What did you see?"

Finally he was getting a reaction he wanted.

"Nothing, but-"

She cut him off.

"Okay. But you've got to trust her, Gabe," she chastised. "If not, you're going to put a strain on your relationship."

"I do trust her. But not him. He's a guy. I'm an expert in that department and I'm not about to let him take advantage of her even if she never speaks to me again. I'll talk to you later."

Gabriel disconnected, made a U-turn, and headed downtown. By the time he got to Grillenium Falcon, Cole had Ellie in arm twirling her around the dance floor. A local band, twanged one of Tim McGraw's early songs. Gabriel leaned against the counter and ordered a long neck, then took a slow pull. Damn. Nothing tasted better than a cold one at the end of the day. He sure as hell hoped he didn't have to give up beer to cure his stomach problem.

He figured it had more to do with stress than any physical ailment. He worried too much. About Silbie. Mom. Hell, he needed to stop agonizing over things he couldn't do anything about.

"Hey, Gabriel." Ellie leaned into him for a half-hug. "How have you been?"

"Good. You?"

"Doing a lot better now that we're getting close to Christmas break. Silbie and I are counting the days."

"How is she working out? Doing a good job for you?"

Ellie flapped her hand in the air. "She's great. I'm thankful every day for the high school work program. I love having her in my room. She is so good with the kids. I think she might follow in my footsteps. She'd be a great teacher."

Gabriel craned his neck to look past Ellie. "Where'd Cole get off to?"

"Bathroom." She cocked his head and widened her eyes. "So, he tells me you're keeping company with a coma patient. That must be interesting. Kind of puts the pressure on you to keep the conversation going, doesn't it?"

Cole appeared at Ellie's side and answered the question before Gabriel could. "He likes it that way. You know. Being in charge."

Gabriel knit his brows together. "What do you mean by that?"

"Just that you like making decisions. Taking the lead. Being the boss."

Cole's attitude gave Gabriel pause. His stomach clenched. "Have I pissed you off somehow?"

"No. I'm not mad. I'm just saying maybe that stomach pain you're having is because you take on the weight of the world. You feel responsible for everybody. Even the girl in the hospital. I can't think of any other guy in town who'd do what you're doing."

"So, you don't think I should?"

Ellie stepped between them. "Simmer down, both of you. Come on, babe. Dance with me." Ellie led him to the dance floor.

Gabriel finished his beer and thought about leaving. Cole's smartass remark had put a damper on any good time Gabriel might have. Had he been too bossy? His job entailed issuing orders. Cole had one more year of apprenticeship before he could make calls alone. Maybe he was jealous about the rescue attention. Whatever it was, Gabriel needed to get it straight. In their jobs, they had to have each other's backs. No room for anger or hurt feelings. Not when messing with high voltage.

The song ended and Cole joined Gabriel again. "Hey man, sorry about before," Cole said. "I'm just in a pissy mood. Ellie's ex is coming for the weekend."

"Who?"

"The guy Ellie dated last summer. She's going out with him tomorrow night."

"So we're good?"