Chapter Two

www.bethanyshayporteous.com

www.facebook.com/BethanyShayPorteous

Chapter Two

It was strange to be waking up in my bed, the bed I hadn't been in for two years. I had to admit it was comfier than my dorm bed. My eyes were sore as I rubbed them, trying to get the sleep from them. I hadn't slept much at all last night, it had been raining hard and my mind had been running in overdrive from the dinner I'd had with my brother and father.

Brennan and I spoke but dad hadn't entered into much of the conversation, and when he did, they were mostly one word answers. Now I was suspicious, why ask me to come back if he was just going to treat me as if I had never left? This was definitely not a trip for reconciliation. He wants me for something, I just know it.

It was going to be so weird meeting Alpha Dean for the first time. I had remembered Emily always telling me about him, how handsome he was and how young he was to be an Alpha. She had never been quite sure if pack life was for her though and sometimes I believed she was pressured by both her family and Alpha Dean into going back home regularly. I was interested to see this wolf in person and not just from a picture on her phone.

Checking my phone there was nothing, not even from Ella. I thought she would have at least texted me about her Alpha visiting my pack. She was probably busy with her family though so I left it alone, putting my phone down and straining my ears to hear what was going on within the house.

I could hear clattering in the kitchen and nice smells wafting into my room. Brennan had mentioned something about Beta Phillip's wife coming over to cook the Thanksgiving dinner. The thought sent renewed irritation through me. I had forgotten all about Polly and her incessant need to be at my father's beck and call.

"She's disgusting," my wolf muttered. "How can she show her face to her mate?"

I sat up when someone knocked on my door and called out for them to come in. Brennan poked his head in with a grin.

"Want to go for a run?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed, diving out of bed. My wolf woke instantly just to the word and I didn't even bother getting changed out of my pyjamas, I'd have to take my clothes off anyway. "Let's go, I'm dying to stretch and my wolf has been clawing my mind since I flew out of Boston."

"Great! Some of the other wolves are already out running; you know your pack link will open right?" He quirked a brow at me and I nodded. "People are...a little offended you shut it off when you left."

"Let them be offended," I shrugged. "None of them stood up for me, I have done nothing wrong with distancing myself from this place."

"You know if they stood up for you it would have been seen as a challenge for dads position right?" Brennan's voice was full of defense and I shook my head.

"Brennan, I'm not mad at you. I never will be, okay?" I gestured out toward the hall from my room. "Ready to run?"

"Yes! Running! Oh hurry up; I need to run so badly!" My wolf was sending a flurry of emotions through me now but the most prominent was excitement. She wanted to get out and run with her pack mates that she hadn't seen for two years.

I followed Brennan from the house, avoiding the kitchen so I didn't need to speak to Beta Phillip's wife, Polly. She'd tried playing mom after my real mom's death and it had not ended well at all.

Stepping onto the front porch I breathed in the air. It still smelt like rain and that smell was mingled with the nature around us. It was a heady scent and it made me dizzy. My eyes flashed open as my wolf came forward and I could feel the amber glow. Letting out a carefree laugh I dove off the porch, my body contorting and twisting mid-air as my clothes shredded and fur sprouted from my skin. I felt my human side being pushed to the back as my wolf came to the forefront. She was in control now.