This is what happened:

One morning, Nagisa was getting ready for school. He changed into his uniform, said goodbye to his parents and left for the train station. As he was walking, he saw Rei was already there.

"Good morning, Rei-Chan!"

Rei looked to the right and saw Nagisa running and waving to him.

"Good morning, Nagisa-kun."

"Nagisa-kun has a very happy expression on his face today, i wonder what he is thinking about. Is it something important?" Rei thought.

"Nagisa-kun, what are you so happy about?" Rei asked.

"What makes you think I'm happy, Rei-Chan?" Nagisa wondered.

"Well, you have a happy look on your face and you seem a bit jumpy and excited."

"Haven't you heard? We're going to the beach today! It's like the training camp we had last year!"

Rei was surprised to hear that he, Makoto, Haru, and Nagisa were going to the beach and having an event like last year. He had gotten the image of him drowning from last year's training camp. His eyes opened wide and clenched his fists. Rei will never forget that what had happened back then.

"Rei-chan? Rei-chan!"

Rei blinked then looked at Nagisa's face. He seemed worried about Rei.

"Is something wrong, Rei-chan?" Nagisa asked.

"N... No. There's nothing wrong, Nagisa-kun."

The train had arrived, Nagisa and Rei went inside to and sat down next to each other. Rei's eyes turned to Nagisa, he was smiling again. Rei smiled at Nagisa thinking about how much he cares about him. He wouldn't want Nagisa to find out about his feelings for him.

The train had arrived, the students got off and went to class. A couple hours later, bell rang for dismissal, Nagisa and Rei exited out the classroom and saw Makoto and Haru waiting for them.

"Hi Nagisa, Rei, ready to go to the beach?" Makoto asked.

"Mako-chan! Haru-chan! We're ready!" Nagisa said cheerily.

"Don't we have to wait for Ama-chan and Gou-san?" Rei asked.

"We're here! Sasabe-chan has the boat at the dock. Ama-chan said.

Makoto, Haru, Nagisa, and Rei were already at the dock, Ama-chan drove with Gou to the dock, then they saw Goro Sasabe. He gretted them then drove the boat to the same island from last year. He dropped them off and they settled down in the house. Well... Miss Amakata and Gou did, the boys had to bring their tents.

"This was just like last year." Rei said unamused.

"Of course, Rei-Chan!" Nagisa told him.

"Ok, Haru and I are going to share a tent. So you are going to share with each other?" Makoto asked.

"Yes." Rei and Nagisa said at the same time.

They slept in their tents and waited 'till morning. Rei was still awake, thinking about Nagisa. He turns to him and looks at him smiling, Nagisa still asleep having sweet dreams. Rei closed his eyes, slowly falling asleep.

"Rei-chan, wake up. It's time to practice!" Nagisa said to Rei.

"Erm.. I'm up Nagisa-kun."

"Good morning Nagisa, Rei. I hope you got enough sleep because we are going to practice hard, day and night!" Makoto exclaimed.

"Yes, captain!" They all shouted.

They put on their goggles swam from island to island trying to perfect their strokes over and over and over until it was perfect. Soon it turned dark and a storm had arrived from the east. Ama-chan and Gou were asleep in the rental house while the boys were still swimming.

"There's a storm." Haru told them.

"Lets go back!" Makoto shouted.

They tried their best to swim back to their island. But the waves were too strong, it separated them from each other leaving them all alone. They tried calling out for each other but there was no responce. Rei swam everywhere to find one of his friends and found Nagisa.

"Nagisa-kun!" Rei called out.

"Nagisa-kun. Nagisa!"

Rei suddenly reached Nagisa and shook him. But nothing happened. They were close to the island and so Rei swam to the island with him holding Nagisa and bringing him to shore. Rei had saw Nagisa bleeding in a few spots and was shocked. His eyes opened wide and worried, he tried to listen for a breath. Then Rei found out. Nagisa wasn't breathing. Rei got scared as he put his head against Nagisa's heart and listened for a heartbeat. It was beating really slowly. Rei tried CPR, but nothing happened. He tried again and again but it didn't work. He still heard a slow heartbeat. Makoto and Haruka found Rei and Nagisa.

"Rei! Nagisa! We are so glad we found you- W-what's wrong, Rei?"

Rei looked up at Makoto and Haru, he was crying hard.

"Nagisa-kun isn't breathing!" Rei yelled

Makoto and Haru looked down at Rei in surprise.

"He is bleeding in a few places and I tried doing CPR but he still isn't breathing!"

Makoto looked at Haru and said "Haru, contact Miss Amakata!"

Ama-chan came outside and saw Nagisa wounded and called the ambulance.

The next morning...

Rei was waiting for Nagisa with his hands covering his face a crying. Makoto and Haru were sad to see Rei like this. Makoto patted Rei on the back and said, "He'll be fine, Rei. Just wait until they call us."

Suddenly, a voice from a speaker, "Nanase Haruka, Tachibana Makoto, Ryugazaki Rei.."

They went to the place they set Nagisa in, Rei looked at Nagisa, crying. He went and sat by him and started crying harder with his fists clenched and one arm covering his eyes. Makoto and Haru had a sad expression on their face.

"N..Nagisa-kun! Please stay alive! I don't want you to die!" Rei said hearing a beep and looked up. He saw the meter was at a normal rate. He heard Nagisa breathing weakly.

"N..Nagisa?" Rei said surprised. He was nervous and happy that Nagisa was ok. Rei suddenly felt tingly and leaned down towards Nagisa. He stared at him then suddenly.. Rei had kissed Nagisa, Makoto and Haru looking at him in shock, then they smiled. Nagisa slowly opened his eyes and said,

"R..Rei-chan?"

Rei smiled and hugged Nagisa crying and smiling.

"Nagisa-kun! I'm glad you're ok! I.. I was so worried when you weren't breathing! Don't ever leave me."

Nagisa looked at Rei and said,

"I won't ever leave you, Rei-chan.

Rei looked at him surprised then hugs him. Then, Rei thought;

"He is always by my side. No matter how he jokes around, i'll care about him all the time...

Always.