Oneshot Special: Koharu's Birthday

Frosty snowflakes spilled into the store. The automatic door had opened to reveal a boy with floaty brown hair and stormy gray eyes. He wore a smile on his face as he eyed his surroundings, looking for someone. He gripped a chocolate brown box hugged with a white bow. He walked further into the store and finally brought himself to the front counter. A girl was at the desk, chirpily counting money and taking stock of different items. She didn't notice that the boy had walked up to the counter. He rose the box in his hands and tapped it against the girl's head.

"Wah!" the girl jumped in surprise and turned to face the boy and a smug smile crossed her face, "I should have known it was you, idiot."

"Do you normally ignore and insult customers? It's a wonder how you even got a job here," the boy leaned over the counter testing how far she would let him cross over.

"No, just the annoying ones," she pushed him back, "so what are you doing here?"

"What do you think dummy? It's your birthday! From the looks of it, you didn't forget either."

The girl winked showing off her makeup and twirled revealing her skirt and heels that were hidden by the counter. Her vivid green eyes danced with satisfaction with the recognition. Her shoulder length onyx hair was buddled up into a messy, but dainty bun.

"I think people have caught on, this guy who came in earlier couldn't stop blushing around me. Too bad I still have to wear this polo otherwise I would have worn something with a lower neckline."

"I think that would be too subtle," the boy remarked sarcastically.

"Soo, is that present just for looks?" she asked while glancing at the box.

"You are just as forward as your appearance," the boy sighed but handed her the present. The girl's cheeks became rosy as she took the present and recognized the shape.

"Wait, this isn't..." she gasped the puzzle clicking together in her mind.

"The confirmed purchase for the pre-ordered game and access to the Beta?" Even he could hardly contain his excitement, "You are lucky I have so many energy drinks, waiting for the sign-ups took all night." The girl squealed excitedly and ran around the counter, almost tripping in her shoes, and gave her friend a hug.

"Did you get one too?" The girl asked, bouncing on the balls of her feet, "Ahh! What will our names be? They have to match! Do you think this will be like that MMO we tried? Cause if it is we will rock this game's world!"

"Dude, can you imagine how the world will be? Freakin' actual mobs that we can see and defeat. I heard that there will be 100 levels in the game do you know how much content that is? This game will be a blast like all of other, Kayaba Akihiko's games!"

"Weird for an MMO to have a set limit though, right?" She asked gasping.

"I am sure it's filled with years of content, Kayaba always does the impossible." The boy countered in heated excitement, then he cooled himself and gestured for her to open the present, "Happy birthday Koharu, now can you please open it?

Koharu nodded enthusiastically, took her glossy nail, and dug it forcefully into the wrapping then pulled.

Skrippppp!

The red flashes ornamented the dark air as a dagger penetrated through the slobbering «Predator Fish». It gave a sharp white smile through its scaly lips as the slimy foe evaporated into thin crisps of blue. Magenta exhaled a sigh of pleasure as a notification appeared before her.

Congratulations!!
Dagger Proficiency Up!
Lv 4 to 5

Her moment of enthusiasm was short lived however when the dagger in her palm started to tickle her skin then dissolved into polygons. Magenta panicked, "Teal! Something happened to my dagger!"

Teal walked forward after checking his surroundings, "What's wrong?"

"My dagger! It went away!"

Teal frowned, "Did it go into your inventory or-"

Suddenly another notification leaped into Magenta's vision.

Warning!
Low Item Durability for «Bronze Dagger»

"Wow, that's good to know now, guess they added that from the Beta," Teal said, peaking over Magenta's shoulder. Then he sighed, "I was going to give this to you when you actually hit level 15, but one level early shouldn't hurt."

"What?" Magenta questioned, then watched as Teal opened his inventory and pulled out a new dagger. It was small and had a black blade with a red hilt. Magenta took it and her menu opened automatically, letting her know that the new item «Dark» had been equipped and was now apart of her inventory.

"Happy birthday," Teal said with a little forced enthusiasm, "I know this isn't really how you should be spending your twenty-first and I know you blame me for trapping you here. But I still wanted to do something."

Magenta glanced at the dagger then back at her friend. Then she punched him lightly on the shoulder, "Don't put the blame of this on yourself dummy. You just wanted to get me a good birthday present last year and it was."

"Yeah, but you are stuck here now in a game that can kill you."

"I betcha wanted to be stuck in a game with me didn't you?" she joked.

"Koharu, come o-"

"Look, I already said it's okay." She interjected, "At the very least I am stuck in a game with my best friend, who bought me a dagger for my birthday, as far as being trapped goes this is one of the least intimidating cages."

Teal sighed but was relieved by her response, "We should go back to town, you still need another dagger."

The two walked close to each other as they conversated. While wistful air surrounded them and the sound of chattering predators filled their ears, they were perfectly content with the evening atmosphere on «Floor Six».