Chapter 15

~Gerard's P.O.V.~

Frank and I sat down in our seats, which just-so-happened to be right next to each other. The plane ride home was just as the ride to California had been, with the exception of a couple things.

When our arms touched awkwardly on the middle armrest; instead of us both pulling away, Frank laid his hand on top of mine, Looking up at me to make sure it was okay. I had smiled and turned my hand upside down so that our palms were touching. Our hands fit together perfectly.

We talked a little bit more than we had on the previous plane ride. We didn't talk about what had happened in California, and we didn't talk about what would happen when we got home. We talked about the present, right then, because that's all that mattered to us at that moment.

A part of me wished that we would have talked about those two things; the past and future. What had happened and what will happen. I was still a little confused about what had happened back in California. I still wasn't sure what he was thinking, or what kind of feelings he now had for me. I wanted to know what would happen when we got home, too. Would we just go to our own homes and avoid each other for anotherweek (a week that felt like eternity), or maybe even more? Would we make plans to see each other again? What would happen to us? My curiosity was getting the best of me, but I didn't let my impatience show. I wasn't about to bring up the subjects, because I wasn’t exactly sure if he would feel comfortable talking about either one. I guessed that was why we hadn’t talked about those things yet, so I left them alone.

What had happened in California, on the sidewalk that had led us almost into the city, had done so many things to me. I wasn't sure what exactly I was feeling, but I knew that they definitely weren't bad feelings. I had kissed him spontaneously; I hadn't even thought about it beforehand. I just did it without thinking. And it was perfect.

Something in me lit up, when our lips connected. Like a flame. Not a flame that would burn buildings and destroy lives, no. A flame that would light someone's way through darkness. That kind of flame, that was the kind that lit up inside of me when I kissed Frank.

When we landed, we both headed straight to the Starbucks in the airport without even discussing it. I made a mental note to memorize his coffee order; I'd try to impress him by ordering for him some day.

We had to stand around for a few minutes before a table finally opened up. We sat facing each other, and I decided that now would be the best time to bring up what was supposed to happen once we left the airport.

"So," I started, staring down at the coffee that I held tightly in both my hands. "What happens now?"

Frank looked up at me quickly, then back to where he had been looking before; out the window, where you could see the airplanes take off into the sky. I want to fly, I said to myself, following his gaze. I will one day. I promised.

There was silence, and I started to think that he wasn't going to answer. A while passed before he was able to say what he was thinking out loud.

"Whatever happens happens, I guess." he sighed, not satisfied with his answer. He had said it out loud though, and he knew that he couldn't take it back anymore. He continued, trying to make what he had said sound better. "I want to see you again, though. We will see each other again, right?" he sounded worried.

"Of course." I said almost too quickly.

The corner of his mouth twitched, and i watched him as he tried to force back a smile.

We finished our coffee, climbing into the same taxi when we exited the airport. Frank gave the driver the address to his home, and the rest of the ride was silent. The good kind of silent.

The taxi pulled up in front of Frank's apartment building, and Frank turned to me.

"I'll...I'll call you." he said quietly. I nodded, and he smiled, climbing out of the car. I listened as he pulled his suitcase out of the trunk, and as the taxi started to drive away, I had to turn to look out the back window,and watched as he walked up to the door. He looked at the taxi just as it turned the corner.

That was the last time I had seen him for another four weeks. At least I had seen him doing what I loved to see him do most. He had been smiling.