Chapter 10

~Gerard’s P.O.V.~

“So you’re disappearing on me again?”

I shut the front door behind me as I walked into the house and made my way to the kitchen, where Delilah’s voice was coming from.

“I’ll be disappearing again, but this time I’m giving you a heads up.” I said, shrugging off my jacket and draping it over one of the chairs at the kitchen table.

Delilah turned around from where she had been washing the dishes to face me. “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to California with Frank for a week. His mom died, and he doesn’t want to go alone.” I sat down in the chair I had hung my jacket on and looked over at Delilah. “Well, I kind of begged him until he finally told me I could go with him. I just want to make sure he’s okay. And I didn’t want him missing the only opportunity he would ever have to say goodbye to his mom.”

Delilah nodded, turning back to the sink. “When are you leaving?”

“Tomorrow morning. Can you buy me a plane ticket for tomorrow, to L.A.?”

“Sure thing.” she said, shutting the faucet off and drying her hands with a towel.

“Thanks. I’m gonna go pack.”

“Alright.” she mumbled. We crossed paths as she made her way to the living room and I to my bedroom.

I pulled the unused black suitcase from my closet and laid it on my bed, leaving it open. I threw in a week’s worth of clothing, making sure to add in a dark blazer and collared shirt for the funeral. I threw in shoes, socks, boxers, and anything that I needed from the bathroom. I also added an empty sketchbook and some pencils, just in case inspiration struck.

I set the suitcase next to my bedroom door and walked into the living room, joining Delilah on the couch. She sat cross-legged, her laptop in her lap, staring at the screen. I couldn’t see the screen from the angle I was sitting at, so I just watched her as she typed and clicked the mouse. She looked over at me after a few minutes.

“Your ticket is bought.” she smiled.

“Thank you, Delilah.” I smiled back.

“You really like this guy, don’t you?” she asked, propping her head up on her hand and looking at me intently.

“Well...I mean, I care about him a lot, and I just want him to be okay.” I answered.

“You really like this guy, don’t you?” she repeated, smiling at me.

“Fuck, Delilah,” I rubbed my face with my hands. “I really do. I haven’t even known him for two weeks, and I’ve only actually seen him twice but, hell. He’s just so fucking gorgeous and...the way he opened up to me today. How could I not like him?”

“You’re allowed to like him, even if it’s only been two weeks.”

“But what if he doesn’t like me back. I mean, the way I want him to.”

“All you can do is just hope that he does.” she sighed. “Just be patient.”

“You know that I can’t do that.” I said, making her laugh. “I’m the most impatient person you’ve ever met, you said it yourself! What if I’m too pushy?”

“You just have to be patient, Gerard. I know you’re used to guys just instantly being attracted to you,” she laughed. “But that’s not the case this time. If you want him to like you back, be yourself, but you have to be slow.”

“I’ll try.” I said, making a reference to the conversation we last had about Frank...which had actually ended up working, to my surprise. “I’m gonna go get some sleep. Wake me up early,” I stood up and made my way to my bedroom. “but not before the coffee’s ready!”

~

I woke up to the smell of coffee, and opened my eyes to see Delilah waving a mug in front of my face.

“You’re so fucking lucky I didn’t get scared and jump, and that didn’t spill all over me, or you’d be in deep shit.” I said, sitting up and taking the coffee from her hands.

“No, you’d just be making yourself another cup.” she laughed, standing up from where she had been sitting next to me. “Now get your lazy ass up. You’ve got a plane to catch...and a man to make yours!” she said dramatically as she walked out of my room. I laughed at her. She was a bitch sometimes, but damn could she make me laugh.

I stayed in bed for a while, emptying the coffee into my body. I quickly got dressed, knowing that I wasted too much time drinking my coffee and I wouldn’t have enough time for a shower. I made sure to grab a handful of cash from the bottom of my sock drawer, not knowing if I would be staying at a hotel or not. I slipped on my shoes and jacket from where I had taken them off in the kitchen last night and grabbed my suitcase, making my way to the living room.

“I guess this is goodbye,” she said, faking a sob before laughing and pulling me into a hug. “Good luck, Gerard. Have a safe trip.” she smiled.

“Thank you. I’ll keep you updated while I’m gone. I’ll be home in a week. Keep up your work, you’re still getting paid!” I said, laughing. She followed me to the door, and we said another goodbye before she shut the door behind me.

I walked down the street, realizing that I would need a taxi if I didn’t want to drag this suitcase all the way to Frank’s house. It took a few minutes, but I finally got one to stop for me, and I threw my suitcase in the trunk before climbing in the backseat.

The traffic was awful, but I made it to Frank’s in good timing. He opened the door almost instantly, greeting me with a warm smile.

“Give me just a few seconds, and I’ll be ready to go. You can come in, sit down for a minute.” he said, pointing to the couch to his left. I smiled, accepting his offer, and walked inside, letting my body sink down into the cushion.

He walked from room to room of the apartment for a while, and finally came out of his bedroom with his suitcase after about ten minutes. “Ready?”

I nodded, standing up from the couch and following him to the door. He grabbed his keys from the table, slipped on his shoes and jacket, and we headed out into the hallway and down the stairs, then finally out onto the street.

I got another taxi, this time packed both of your suitcases into the truck, and let Frank slide into the backseat before I did.

The long ride to the airport was silent, and we had to rush through the building to make it to the flight on time. We made it to the gate just as the attendant was letting the last person in line enter the hall that led to the entrance of the plane, and she pulled a face when she saw us running up. She checked our tickets, with an attitude, and followed behind us onto the plane.

Delilah must have purposely bought my ticket to be a seat right next to Frank, because that’s what it turned out to be. She must have called him yesterday...fucking hell, Delilah.

I let Frank slide into the window seat, and I took the one next to the aisle. We made small talk as they waited for everyone else to board. He mentioned that I would be staying at his dad’s house with him. I had refused, saying that I could just stay at a hotel, but he insisted that I not waste my money.

The flight attendant finally announced that they were ready for take-off. My hand brushed against Frank’s as we put on our seatbelts, and he pulled away quickly, his face turning a bright shade of red. I laughed to myself at his awkwardness, and sat back in my seat.

~

The flight attendant’s loud voice came out of the speakers, making my eyes fly open. I jumped a little, but realized I couldn’t move very far because of a weight on my shoulder. My eyes looked to my left, and on my shoulder rested Frank’s head. His right arm was right next to mine on the armrest that separated us, his other hand in his lap. His eyes were shut and if I was quiet enough, I could hear him snoring quietly.

I rested my head back on his, where it had been before I was woken up, and moved my arm closer to his, covering the inch of space between them, until they were touching. I smiled and closed my eyes, drifting back to sleep.