"Or water?"

The crew went wild, shouting one word or the other and it only stopped when the man said, decisively:

"Water."

"Looks like he's more scared of you, love." Wen smirked back at Azula before getting up and rolling up his sleeves.

"Smart man." Azula leaned back, ready to enjoy the display.

Wen ordered the man be untied, because it made for a scarier show if the victim against their inescapable fate. After all, this was useless if it wasn't a lesson. The man looked around in desperation before he saw water flowing up from the sea and on deck in little streams, all collecting around his feet. Water slowly crawled up his body to envelop him whole. The head was covered last, at which point he started kicking, trying to get air.

And Wen allowed him air ever so often, just to make the whole thing painfully long. A horrible way to go, surely to discourage any future mutineers...

When the traitor was gone, Wen threw him into the sea and sat back down next to Azula. They started calling the children forward, one by one, to make their decision. Fen couldn't believe there were children as young as eight who were going to a prison. Guess, they had to eat somehow...

"What's your name?" Wen asked.

"Fen." she stepped out in front of the two leaders.

"Do you wish to join us, Fen?"

"I do." Fen was certain now that was the only way she'd get one of them alone to make her move.

"Good," Azula said, "Any skills?"

"I can clean, and I-"

"Yeah, yeah, very good... Welcome. Next?"

That was... Easier than Fen expected. She walked to the side and carefully watched the rest of the show. She was surprised how many children actually took their offer. She had an ulterior motive, but they didn't.

Next were the adults. She expected even more of them to be interested in the pirates' offer.

"Just so you know," Azula started, "The children who refused our offer will be freed on shore close-by. The adults who decide to refuse us will be sold back to the prison they were headed to."

"So think carefully about what you say." Wen added before waving the first man forward.

"Excuse me, my Lord, my Lady..." the man started muttering.

"We're not that." Wen interrupted.

"Could I ask you to be taken ashore as well? You see, I did what I did bec-"

"Are you a child?" Azula smirked.

"No, my Lady... But I have children and without me they-"

"Perfect!" Wen stood up suddenly and ran to the man, causing him to shudder, "You can bring them aboard. There are plenty of jobs to be carried out that do not involve combat."

The man still seemed hesitant, so Azula decided to drive in the point.

"As long as you fight for us, we will feed them, clothe them and teach them how to write and fight. You won't get a better offer anywhere."

"I guess, I'll join, then." the man said.

"Alright." Wen sat back down, "Next?"

oooooooooo

Later that night, while Wen trained with some of the new recruits, Azula showed Fen around together with some other little kids. Most of them got assigned to help in the kitchen, while Fen was supposedly chosen for a more important job.