Chapter 37

Harry looked up from his crouched position where he was fixing the drop cloth when I walked into the room, and his eyes immediately widened. "I told you I'd get it." He was on his feet to take the box from me before I could set it down.

"It's only baby clothes, relax." I had to smile. I was just seven months pregnant this week, and we came out here to L.A. last weekend to settle in and get ready for the baby's arrival. Harry had been adorably concerned and fussing over me ever since.

I didn't particularly want to, but I had to admit that it was harder than I thought it would be—leaving home. Mom had tried to talk me out of it, so did Jenny and Will. Emily, to my surprise, was the only one who seemed to feel like it wasn't the worst thing we could possibly do. She understood that this was an important career move for Harry, and as long as we headed out here with enough time to get ready before the baby was born, she didn't see why it was a big deal. It wasn't going to be a permanent move, after all. We'd head back to New York as soon as filming was over.

And the family could come when the baby was born so that they wouldn't miss anything.

Anne had expressed her concern, too. She'd been planning to come to New York for the birth, and would come to L.A. if that's what we decided to do, but she thought staying near family was probably a good idea.

Harry and I took all of their input into account, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me a little nervous that their feedback was overwhelmingly in favor of us not going to L.A. But at the same time, Mom was supportive of the decision. She would rather we stay in New York, but she said she'd come stay with us for a few weeks after the baby was born out here if that's what we chose to do. Just to get us settled. Anne said she could come out to be with us for the birth, too, and it made her feel better that my mom could stay longer.

All of that made Harry less hesitant, but not completely gung-ho either. Still, I knew the fact that he'd even been entertaining the idea suggested just how badly he wanted to make it work.

So we did.

And now that we were here—now that my belly was bigger than I'd ever imagined it could get, even in all my fantasies about becoming a mother—well... I had to admit that all of it was a little more nerve-wracking than I'd been letting on. That maybe our families were onto something when they'd been so insistent we stay right where we were. Where help was available to us twenty-four-seven.

We'd spent the last week or so sporadically getting packages delivered from home, as well as shopping for the baby's room. All while getting ourselves the little accoutrements that we'd need for ourselves. Like a new coffeemaker, since the one Harry already had at the house decided to conk out on us our first day here. And a set of plates because Harry only kept exactly three dishes in this house—his excuse was that he was the only one who ever really ate anything here, except for the few times I'd stayed with him while we were engaged; I'd chewed him out then, too, but the situation didn't seem as dire as it did now. So we'd done quite a bit of shopping this week.

Towels, dish soap, regular soap, shampoo, new bed sheets, cleaning products, toilet paper... all of that and more, all things that weren't in the house, but would obviously need to be considering we'd be living here for at least the next six months.

And today was reserved for painting the baby's room.

Harry set the box I'd carried in down and shoved it beneath another drop cloth with all the other boxes, including the crib that we'd more than likely put together in the next couple of days.

Then we'd have to get the rest of her furniture at some point.

I blew out a breath then, a zing of nerves shooting through me as my hands went around my belly, just barely covered by an old t-shirt. My shorts were slung low beneath it so that a sliver of skin peeked out at the bottom.