17. Honour Bound

Hook and Wendy found passage on the Dream, a large ocean liner. They stood on deck and Hook craned his neck, looking up at the Dream's chimneys that were chugging out black smoke.

"When I was a lad, about fifteen or so, I ran away from home." He told her, his expression distant. "I ran to the docks and signed up with the first captain that would take me. I forget his name- a great big fat bloke though."

Wendy looked up at Hook, struggling to imagine him as a boy. With his large chin, strong nose and thick brows – he was lacking any soft childish features. "I worked in the engines, stoking the fires."

"How was it?" She prompted when he paused.

"Hard." 

She nodded thoughtfully. 

"Hmm, I've done similar work myself. Those places have a way of sucking the soul out of you."

Hook didn't reply, but he clenched onto the rail – a determined expression setting on his gloomy face.

                 Wendy didn't think much about their conversation and so didn't link it with Hook's disappearance the next day. She woke up to find him gone but shrugged it off, assumed that he'd taken a turn around the deck. But then he didn't show for breakfast or lunch. She searched the ship for him, growing anxious.

Fellow passengers hadn't seen him. They offered to help her look, curious and keen to help the sweet looking girl. Hook and her were back to being father and daughter, posing as wealthy foreigners. Wendy wore a ringleted blonde wig and frilly blue skirts, making her look like a perfect little doll – so long as she didn't smile too much. Hundreds of years of life had been unkind to her teeth, which were falling out.  

By the end of the day, she was pacing their apartment – unsure what to do. If he'd been caught, wouldn't somebody have come to question her by now? The sun had slipped beneath the horizon when he finally made his way back to their apartment, his movements stiff as he closed the door behind him.

"Where have you been?!" Wendy outraged, sweeping across the room toward him. She frowned. "Why are you dirty?"

Hook wasn't wearing his dapper coat or hat. Instead, he'd donned on his darkest breeches. His shirt was drenched with sweat and was clinging to his sinewy body. He'd tied back his dark hair and his face and hands were begrimed with soot. Hook headed for the drink's cabinet. "Where were you?" Wendy repeated.

"I worked a shift."

"In the engines?"

He nodded, pouring himself a stiff drink. 

He closed his eyes as he drank it, savouring the taste.

"Why? We don't need the money?"

Hook sighed and dropped down onto the settee, kicking off his boots.

"You don't need money." He corrected. "I can't sponge off you forever. I owe you too much already."

"I don't expect you to pay me back. I don't need it."

"I'm a gentleman, a bit of a rogue admittedly, but I have some principles still. I'm a man of my word and I'd like to have a shred of honour to my name."