9. The Neverland

Once they were well out to sea, Pan brought Wendy out on deck. Dawn was breaking and a cold wind teased and tugged at Wendy's ringlets. Her quick gaze scanned the crew, searching for someone who might help her. Her hopes pinned on Tinkerbell, the only apparent adult on-board. The rest of the crew appeared to Wendy, to be her own age – most a least a couple of years younger. She stared at Tinkerbell, trying to catch her eye and convey her fear but Tinkerbell only scowled at her in response.

Pan led Wendy to the rail. He stood behind her, his hands encasing her in as they stood facing the grey waves. In dismay, Wendy realised she couldn't see any other ships nor sign of land. She was trapped on the ship.

"Are you going to kill me?" She asked, her voice strangely devoid of feeling. Pan rested his chin on her shoulder.

"We're meant to be together - forever. I've waited a long time to meet you, Wendy."

"Me?"

"Hmm," he nuzzled her neck, breathing in her scent. "A kindred spirit." He turned her around in his arms and Wendy found herself facing him, standing uncomfortably close. She swallowed the bile that rose in her throat. "Look," he inclined his head. Wendy's gaze followed the direction he'd indicated. "We're cut from the same cloth."

They watched their shadows play together, fooling around like real children. Wendy's insides tensed. Her shadow coming to life, was that not because of Pan? Was it really because she was like him, something strange and not from the real world?

"You're evil," Wendy countered. "I'm not. I'm good."

"I already told you, Wendy. I'm not the bad guy." Pan gazed down her, his expression suddenly serious. "None of this is my fault." Their shadows held hands and Wendy shuddered – repulsed.

"My girl," Pan murmured, his eyes smouldering down at her. He leant toward her, going in for a kiss, but Wendy twisted her body away, straining her neck to avoid him. Irritated, Pan gripped her chin in a harsh grasp – forcing her head in place as his lips descended on hers. Wendy scrunched her eyes shut, whimpering as he persisted. It was a relief for her when they were shoved apart. 

Wendy staggered backwards, quickly putting distance between them. It had been Tinkerbell's doing. Tinkerbell stood between them, hanging her head in defeat. Tears were falling fast down her face and she stared reproachfully down at Pan, her gaze utterly pathetic. It had been unbearable for her, to watch Pan kiss another woman.

"Slightly. Tootles." Pan barked, signally over the two lost boys. "Take Tink to the brig. She needs to reflect on her poor behaviour."

Tinkerbell didn't resist as they escorted her off, but her expression was one of devastation.

"Who is she?" Wendy asked, watching the trio disappear into the hold.

"An old friend." Pan shrugged untroubled. "Her name's Tinkerbell."

"You treat your friends like that?"

"When they need teaching. I'm helping her to be a better friend." He sidled closer to Wendy.

"If you're not going to kill me..."

"I'm going to marry you, Wendy." A sudden gust of wind showered them in sea foam. Wendy's hair came free from its ribbons and billowed out around her shoulders.