Chapter 15: The Reason

~I do not own Lab Rats~

Chase's POV:

I chew my bottom lip uneasily as I look up at Mr. Davenport, who has yet to say anything. Him and Douglas continue to stare at each other after Douglas's only comment. Who's going to speak next is difficult to tell, and when is even harder.

Adam, Bree, and Leo remain speechless and their mouths gaping behind me. My eyes continue to drift from them, to Douglas, to Mr. Davenport, and then repeat. I stop biting onto my lip, but start to play with my hands unsteadily.

Finally, Mr. Davenport pursues his lips and sighs, "Okay."

"Okay, what?" I ask while furrowing my eyebrows confused.

"Explain."

"Huh?" I ask getting more confused.

"Explain why on earth you brought me here, to him." Mr. Davenport brings his hands out to gesture to Douglas, like he's presenting someone or something.

"Oh, well, I realized that the only person who will know how to fix my chip, is the person who created it in the first place." Douglas raises an eyebrow when he here's my explanation, but at the same time he looks satisfied.

Adam, Bree, and Leo finally come to their senses, but don't speak. I keep my focus on Mr. Davenport, who keeps a stern look before he speaks.

"No," I take a second to understand what he just said, and I'm shocked. I look at him surprised, but his expression doesn't change.

"What?"

"No, I will not let Douglas help in anyway."

"Why?" I ask as my siblings come forward to my side.

"I don't trust him, and besides, I'll figure it out."

"But, when will you?"

"Yeah, it could be too late by the time you do," Leo adds causing me to stiffen a little.

"I said no, and I mean it," Mr. Davenport argues sternly.

"But it's my problem, and I get to choose how it gets solved," I argue angrily.

"And you have to admit that this is the only option we have," Bree comments.

"For now, but I'll figure it out soon enough."

"Be honest, Donnie, you don't have a clue on how to fix his chip, do you?" Douglas asks slyly, causing Mr. Davenport to get an angered look and whirl around to face his brother.

"Yes, I do, so your help will not be required."

"You do?" Adam asks puzzled. "Because, last time I checked you didn't have clue."

"Thank you, Adam, but your input will not be necessary," Mr. Davenport practically snaps.

"See, he even admits it!" Douglas laughs. "Do you really not trust me, or is it that you just don't want to help Chase."

That comment must've struck a nerve in Mr. Davenport. He charges forward, until he can reach in and grab Douglas's collar, dragging him into the bars.

"Listen, Douglas, I love Chase as if he was my own son, and I would like to think that he was mine most of time. Mainly because you weren't such a good one yourself, and I would do anything, and I mean anything, for Chase. As long as it means I get to see that smile of his spread across his face. I never, ever, wouldn't help him, and definitely not in a time like this. Do you understand me?" When he finishes, I swear that I've never seen Douglas as scared as he looks right now. To answer Mr. Davenport, Douglas nods slowly, fear clearly in his eyes.